Floating logs pose danger in Callander Bay

kickingfrog

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2692782

Floating logs pose danger in Callander Bay

Chief Commanda II captain urges boaters to be on the lookout

Posted By MARIA CALABRESE The Nugget

Posted 11:30am, July 30, 2010

The captain of the Chief Commanda II is on the lookout for floating logs and urging boaters in smaller vessels to do the same after a couple of near misses this week.

"They float right to the surface. If you're clipping along and you hit it directly with the hull, it can do some damage if you hit it the wrong way," said Capt. Rich Stivrins.

Most are in the north part of the bay, he said, with others as far south as Burford Point near the North Bay Yacht Club.

One of Lake Nipissing scenic cruise tours takes the 320-passenger all aluminum twin hull vessel past the dock at Callander Bay at about 7:25 p.m.

Stivrins said he spotted one of the logs 60 to 90 metres to the right of the dock during a Thursday evening cruise, and others along the Osprey Crescent subdivision.

Stivrins recalls a couple of close calls this week, using binoculars to manoevre the Chief through the bay.

He has made security calls for the benefit of boaters with a VHF radio, and is urging recreational boaters, anglers and others who will be on the lake this long weekend to be on the lookout for these potential dangers.

He has been working on the Chief since 2003 and has seen these logs pop up before, likely linked to the logging history in the bay.

Stivrins said low water levels and winds may have dislodged some of the logs recently and are pushing them closer to shore.

[email protected]

I hit one of those floating logs in the French River (actually it was in Flower Pot Bay which is part of the French). We didn't have a chance, you couldn't see it in the water at all until it was too late and we were only running a 15 on a cedar strip. We actually went air borne and all I can say is I'm glad we were in a cedar strip!

In the past few years I have pulled several large logs out of Sturgeon Lake in the summer. I think it might have something to do with sun light and water temperature causing bacteria to grow or something because as soon as the water cools back down they seem to sink again.

Anyway, no matter what body of water you are on you shouldn't ever "ASSUME" it is safe, wear your PFD even if the weather is good. Here today and gone tomorrow doesn't just refer to those logs!

Edited by Big Cliff