Rain Gear?

DanD

Leaving for the West Arm tomorrow morning and stopping off at Basspro on the way through.

I was thinking of new rain gear and was wondering if anyone has seen or used the RedHead stretch jackets & paints?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10201239_100014000_100000000_100014000_100-14-0

The pricing doesn’t seem too bad; but are they any good for the money?

The older I get the dryer I want to be; but still can’t bring myself into paying much more then a couple hundred bucks for a complete suit.

Dan.

unless its made of goretex... its garbage. if u want a good quality rainsuit, u HAVE to spend the money on it. i got a cheaper shimano suit for 150 and while its good in say... the fog... if its raining, i get wet still, waves off the side of the boat, yup.. wet too... and wind blocking... whats that?

lol, really though, if u truely wanna stay dry and comfortable, u gotta spend the coin and get a goretex suit.

unless its made of goretex... its garbage. if u want a good quality rainsuit, u HAVE to spend the money on it.

Thanks.

I was trying to cheap out; but you’re 100% right and I’ll stick with what I got until I finally break down and buy a good suit.

Thanks again.

Dan.

Just because it's not made of Goretex doesn't mean its garbage. I have a rubber rainsuit I bought from L.L.Bean at least 10 yrs ago for 40.00. The arse finally blew out of the pants this year so I'm gonna get another one. It kept me dry, spring,summer, and fall. And how often do you really wear it, compared to how many times you go out. I agree they don't breathe as good as Goretex but the jacket is vented in the back and armpits and has a built in liner of some kind of perforated material to keep the rubber off of you. Also I won't cry if I tear my cheapo suit, but not so if it was my 300.00 Goretex suit. So the question is How much do ya want to spend? And my last suit was made in the U.S.A. and not over priced crap from China.

I also have Goretex gear that was made in Pembroke Ontario and it is awesome gear. But this small company closed it's doors for good a few years ago.

I have to agree with those that said you get what you pay for.

I bought my wife a goretex suit 7 years ago, it's still breathable, no rips/tears, and she wears it whenever needed for walks, tobagganing, paddling etc.

I bought a Bare outfit about the same time, and use the top as a windbreak/cover, all fall and winter, when Steelheading, as well as for inclement conditions when walking the dog. Great value.

So, bite the bullet.

Check out Cabelas, Bass pro,LL Bean.

I think you will get better value, and for sure better warranty from LL Bean and Cabelas.

In the mean time, cut out some arm and head holes from a garbage bag. Don't waste your money on the cheap stuff.

My .02 cents

doesnt' have to be goretex to be good but any one of the number of waterproof and breathable technologies out there, they're pretty much all similar in design and manufacturing..eVENT, HyVent,Conduit, etc are all different kinds of waterproof breathables ( laminates or coatingse) and they all have DWR(durable water repellent) on them, it doesn't have much to do with what is on the inside of the shell to make it a waterproof and breathable. The differences between all these and other fabrics has less to do with the DWR and more to do with the factory process/design of the laminate or coating

measured in vapor porosity ( how many x amount of molecules transfer from inside to outside the material) and how well they repel water

I have a hard mountain silk conduit jacket which I'm pretty happy with, but I hear eVENT is the crap these days....

Edited by bare foot wader

Check out BPS's pro qualifier bibs and jacket...a little cheaper than the 100mph.

I do agree the high end Goretex Suits are like no other....whether its BPS, Cabelas or Gander Mountains gear.

If I was in a pinch I'd go with the Columbia jacket and bibs. http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103922_625011000_625000000_625011000_625-11-0

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_103921_625011000_625000000_625011000_625-11-0

So what did you go with?

Sorry people I was up at the West Arm last week and just got back home.

I cheaped out again and I just used my old stand by; one of those yellow pieces of crap rubber/vinyl suits. Not sure if it was last week’s thunder storms or me sweating to death that soaked my back and legs and :asshat: . LOL

I’ll try and put up a report later; it won’t be much of one it was tough fishing.

Dan.