OT: Tread wood trailer deck?

cityfisher

Hi all,

My trailer deck is not looking so great after a couple years of use and want to treat the wood with something so i dont have to change out the wood in a couple years.

Thompsons / penafin / deck stain?? Linseed oil?

Any thoughts would be appreciated !

A thought is any of the liquid surface treatments will be scratched off quickly if you haul things in it. Your next replacement might be with rough cut oak or other hardwood for a longer life.

Art

City, I had a 12 x 6 1/2 tandem axle utility trailer that I bought new in 95 to haul slab wood for the wood burner. I never did any thing to the deck in mine and it lasted until 2007. I stored it outside in the weather, anything might have helped the deck boards last a little longer? They were 2x8 pine? I replaced them with treated lumber, an easy job, maybe 2 hours?

Treating it boards over the years could become more expensive than new wood? Just guessing that road spray underneath is probably worse that the top were it can dry out better?

good point Guys, I got a can of the Thompson water seal stuff and gave it a coat on both sides today. Hopefully it extends it's life by a year a two , then It will be time for fresh wood !

quote name='OhioFisherman' date='22 July 2010 - 08:50 PM' timestamp='1279846233' post='487594']

City, I had a 12 x 6 1/2 tandem axle utility trailer that I bought new in 95 to haul slab wood for the wood burner. I never did any thing to the deck in mine and it lasted until 2007. I stored it outside in the weather, anything might have helped the deck boards last a little longer? They were 2x8 pine? I replaced them with treated lumber, an easy job, maybe 2 hours?

Treating it boards over the years could become more expensive than new wood? Just guessing that road spray underneath is probably worse that the top were it can dry out better?