NIAGARA RIVER

trevy727

I've been wanting to fish the lower Niagara river by boat for some time now but I don't know if my boat is big enough to handle the currents. It's a 14.5' Grumman with a 20 hp Yamaha outboard. It has a fairly deep hull but I just don't know. I took it out in lake Ontario with a 15klm/hr wind and it wasn't fun. Needless to say, I didn't venture too far from shore and the wifey wanted to leave after an hour or so of 4-5' rollers. If anyone fishes the niagara in a small boat, I'd like to hear your experiences or any advice from anyone who has some. I'm not tlaking about running upto the wirlpool or anything like that, just want to fish around the mouth/niagara on the lake? Also where could I launch? Queenston? Thanks in advance for any info.

IMG_3150_1.jpg

IMG_3049_1.jpg

IMG_3058_1.jpg

You will be fine fishing from Queenston down to the mouth of river, above Queenston it starts to get pretty crazy, a bigger boat is needed especially if your not to familiar with the currents.There is a good launch right at Queenston Bass, Walleye and Muskie can all be caught in the lower right now.The trouting dosn't really start up till late Oct or Nov and is good all winter.

Guest LivingLegend

Thought Id mention that I caught a 8.5lb and 10lb walleye (same night)fishing just off shore right where you launch ur boats next to where they store the whirlpool jet boats. The current isnt to rough there but be safe and may the force be with you.......w00t.gif

Should be no problem fishing downstream of the Queenston ramp. As already mentioned, just be mindful of the current. Also keep well to the Canadian side unless you have a N.Y. license and equipment that conforms to USCG standards. They have different requirements.

No problem fishing the lower with that rig I spent many years fishing there all winter in a 14' with a 7.5 Ted Williams Sears on it.Just watch out for the current in the middle of the river right in front of the Queenston drift, there are some wicked whirlpools out there. They can be a little unsettling until you get used to them,but anywhere down stream from the Queenston launch you'll be fine.

Thought Id mention that I caught a 8.5lb and 10lb walleye (same night)fishing just off shore right where you launch ur boats next to where they store the whirlpool jet boats. The current isnt to rough there but be safe and may the force be with you.......w00t.gif

The back drift can be really good for walleye at night this time of year, just anchor off shore or drift. I've gone up to the power dams in a boat that size when I was younger but it's a crazy ride, I prefer a 19' Lund for that trip now and it still can be a crazy ride. Now is a good time to come down launch your boat and learn the drifts if you want to take advantage of the excellent trout fishing in the winter.

Guest LivingLegend

The back drift can be really good for walleye at night this time of year, just anchor off shore or drift. I've gone up to the power dams in a boat that size when I was younger but it's a crazy ride, I prefer a 19' Lund for that trip now and it still can be a crazy ride. Now is a good time to come down launch your boat and learn the drifts if you want to take advantage of the excellent trout fishing in the winter.

Dont have boat just yet, been spending alot of time in my fishing kayak ( Malibu Stealth 14). Not to sure about bring my yak out there yet I know some guys that do use their fishin yaks in that area. i just put a custom design trolling motor (30lb thrust) on a couple weeks ago, works awesome, similar to my profile pic.

Soon i will have boat, looking maybe next yr................

I don't know much about the Niagara but your boat looks really sturdy! :thumbsup_anim: The thought of hitting any part of the Great Lakes in a smaller boat still scares ME. (I'm pretty inexperienced with boats)

-Ben

Edited by Ben_Daniels

you'll be fine. I took my 12 ft tinny out last year with an 8 hp on it. just stay between shore and 1/4 way across the river and or follow the other guys drifting - there will be boat traffic, big and little. I didn't go up stream of the launch 'cause I had been on that in a bigger boat (20 ft lund with a 90 tiller) on a charter - OFC'er - and there were some interesting currents I didnt wish to discover that close and personal.

I Miss my 14'5 Gruman and 15 hp Yamaha, which I have fished from West Virginia to Northern Ontario and Quebec,including Niagara River a number of times. Did not have any problems with the boat and motor on the Niagara and fished all the way to Lake Ontario. Just wear you Life Jacket.

Because of my son, I traded for a 16'5 Crestliner Fish Hawk with a 40 hp Johnson which I would gladly trade back for a 14'5 Gruman with a 15 Yamaha. I caught more fish in my Gruman and it was easier to tow. Don't ever trade your Gruman for a bigger boat.

Edited by wvfisherm

Oh I forgot mention that another thing too watch out for is the wakes from the jet boats they pretty damn big 2' atleast and if your not watching could toss you out.

Good point, also that boat looks like a short shaft so make sure the bow is point at those coming jet boat wakes! If you haven't bought the boat yet look for a long shaft!

Good advice here. As stated, don't venture above back drift at ramp, watch out for whirlpools where the currents meet if you fish the back drift at the ramp and wear pfd's.

Smallies are fun this time of year, 10' - 30' with tube jigs work well. Walleye can be tough, but if the moss isn't bad you can drift worm harnesses off breaks.

Good fishing!