South West End of Erie and More Walleye

Jen

After spending the previous weekend with my little sis out on Lake Ontario and Lake Erie I decided to head down to her place to see what Walleye fishing was all about on the American side of things.

We got out on the water late in the day and still managed 5 for 7, four lines out - two rods running inline weights and two rods with dipsys, all with harnesses in shallower water than I am used to for sure. (In Ohio there is a slot size of nothing under 15")

Here are some pics of a very very hot day out there!

04.jpg

06.jpg

08.jpg

10.jpg

The fish are definately smaller than I am used to but what a great day on the water...

Thanks to my family again I had an amazing time out there!

Cheers

Jen

Jen good to see you had a decent outing on our side of the border :thumbsup_anim:

Not trying to split hairs here but your title is a little misleading, Southwest End of Lake Erie usually means the Port Clinton/Island/Toledo areas of Lake Erie also known as the Western Basin. Cleveland is more Central. You think you were fishing shallow water where you were well it gets shallower the farther west you go, I think I read somewhere that the means depth on the Western Basin is 26 feet. No need for downriggers on our end lol

The water looks very flat and with the temps yesterday I'll bet it felt warm.

Congrats for getting out on the Big Pond!

Edited by Whopper

Jen good to see you had a decent outing on our side of the border thumbsup_anim.gif

Not trying to split hairs here but your title is a little misleading, Southwest End of Lake Erie usually means the Port Clinton/Island/Toledo areas of Lake Erie also known as the Western Basin. Cleveland is more Central. You think you were fishing shallow water where you were well it gets shallower the farther west you go, I think I read somewhere that the means depth on the Western Basin is 26 feet. No need for downriggers on our end lol

The water looks very flat and with the temps yesterday I'll bet it felt warm.

Congrats for getting out on the Big Pond!

I wasn't sure what to call it... I just know I drove a long way south and then west to get there...

Thank you so much for filling me in and wow... more shallow than that?

What are the waters around Put-In-Bay like?

What are the waters around Put-In-Bay like?

Drunk :lol::w00t:

PIB is located on South Bass Island and is party central on any given weekend during the season, they pack the harbor big time.

Actually the islands are a pretty neat place to visit if you ever get the chance but to answer your question on depth to the east of Kelly's Island 40 foot isn't uncommon, between Kelly's and South Bass 30-35 foot, west of South Bass over towards the shipping channel at Toledo is were it get's shallow some reefs top out at 3-5 foot but there's plenty 25-30' of water and a few holes that may get deeper.

To find deeper water north of the islands we'll see 40-50 foot depths

Besides the spring time when the lake fish are on the reefs we fish water that is anywhere between 25-40 foot most of the time

Any other info about the area that you would like to know I'll be more than happy top share

Edited by Whopper