car batery used as a cranker?

fishinguypat

i recenty bought a used car battery (eliminator) and it world very long for trolling motors and has hgh power.can these be used as cranking batteries... what are the reasons it can not be because i can't remember the specifications?

I understand that marine batteries can take more pounding than car batteries. So a car battery may not last too long in a boat that is driven in rough water.

I am not sure what you mean by, "it world very long for trolling motors and has hgh power". If you intend to use it to power an electric motor I wouldn't expect it to last too long. Car batteries are not meant to be discharged on a regular basis. They are designed to be maintained at full charge by the cars alternator.

My question is...Why would you purchase a USED battery, especially one not designed for what you are going to use it for then ask if it's OK.

But anyways.....it's better as your starting battery then for your trolling motor. Good Luck with it.

So i went to this web site www.thefishingline.com/marine.htm and they say there is a difference in the way they are built and they say that car battery's wont last in a boat lol.

guess they never tried it i have had one in my boat for the last 3 years. And never had a problem with it.

Actually today I'm going to replace my 9 year old starting battery because Monday it started to show signs that it's weakening and I don't like to be stranded on Erie. I have a battery monitor in the dash and at times it was showing only 40% and the volt meter at times dipped down to 11.2 volts. I guess I got my money's worth out of it. Let me know if you get that from a car battery.

My question is...Why would you purchase a USED battery, especially one not designed for what you are going to use it for then ask if it's OK.

But anyways.....it's better as your starting battery then for your trolling motor. Good Luck with it.

well i did intend to use it for my motor...and its a car battery so icould only assume? :whistling: