Boat launching wheels?

Most times this year I have been out fishing on my own and I have recently purchased a 12 ft tinnie.

It isn;t as light as my Sportspal canoe though..lol

I am wondering if there is a way for me to mount two wheels on (removable) on the transomme to allow me to wheel it around when loading and unloading it from my van roof.

If anyone has pics of their set up, that would be great to see too.

The tinnie is easy to lift with two ppl.

Thanks

Splashhopper

You might be able to use a set of beach launching wheels made for an inflatable.

They usually fold out of the way or have quick disconnects for when they aren't needed.

Just google Beach Launching Wheels and you will get a ton of info.

Here's the first one that came up.

I Googled them already and was quite surprised at the cost of those and similar ones.

I am hoping some handyman boater here has made something up that will work as well.

Thanks though.

I have a 9' punt boat (flat bottom) and I put 2 bar-b-que wheels on it. They are on the sides where the molded metal handles are. When it is turned up-side down I can roll it on the wheels with one hand. There are alot of old bar-b-que's that get thrown out or at the scrap yard. I just use hitch pins on the bolts(axles) and they can be put on or removed in seconds. They are not in the way at all so I can leave them on when fishing. I'll try and get a pic of them.

I'm too lazy to search the forum, but I believe I remember a thread exactly like this and it was made using two bicycle wheels and a couple of hockey sticks.

I'm sure one of the regulars will link you soon enough.

I have a 9' punt boat (flat bottom) and I put 2 bar-b-que wheels on it. They are on the sides where the molded metal handles are. When it is turned up-side down I can roll it on the wheels with one hand. There are alot of old bar-b-que's that get thrown out or at the scrap yard. I just use hitch pins on the bolts(axles) and they can be put on or removed in seconds. They are not in the way at all so I can leave them on when fishing. I'll try and get a pic of them.

Sounds like a simple idea.

I'm too lazy to search the forum, but I believe I remember a thread exactly like this and it was made using two bicycle wheels and a couple of hockey sticks.

I'm sure one of the regulars will link you soon enough.

I would appreciate that ... thanks

I put on of these together to wheel my 14 foot Sportspal to the water when on my own. Can't see why it wouldn't do the same for a 12 foot tinny. Once you have it placed at a good pivot point, it will roll around easy. You can use a ratchet strap to wrap all around and hold the boat tight to the cart if you will be going over a bumpy path.

This cost me $40, for the two tires at CTC...had the scrap pcs of wood and 5/8" rod kicking around, so if you had to buy all the pcs...would be $60 or less.

I also cobbled together a modified bike trailer, to pull my Sportspal with my bicycle. Basically just cut the regular childrens bike trailer frame in half and widened it with some sections of old bed rails to the width of the widest part of the Sportspal. I then put two pcs of 2x3 rails on the frame as bunkers (I think thats what they are called in a real trailer). I just have to fashion up a simple method to attach a section of 2x3 that I clamp to the bow of the canoe, to my seat post or parcel carrier thingy. Sorry don't have a pic of this unit yet.

Canoe Cart 001 (Large).jpg

That looks pretty simple to make. :D

Now my next question is how to lift the boat on to the roof of my van when I am solo.

I drive a Dodge Caravan and am not the tallest guy on the block :rofl2:

I am thinking of just putting a heavy blanket on the side of the van at the sliding door and sliding it up on to the racks that way. Unless of course there is an "OFC-Solution" to this little dilemma too.

Thanks again all.

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

That looks pretty simple to make. :D

Now my next question is how to lift the boat on to the roof of my van when I am solo.

I drive a Dodge Caravan and am not the tallest guy on the block :rofl2:

I am thinking of just putting a heavy blanket on the side of the van at the sliding door and sliding it up on to the racks that way. Unless of course there is an "OFC-Solution" to this little dilemma too.

Thanks again all.

Splashhopper

That's why I have a sportspal canoe at the moment, used to have a 12 foot tinny but was in the same situation you are splash...have a ford winstar and didn't have the funds for a small boat trailer, and the canoe can get into places that would be a pita even for the tinny.

Still hoping to someday get a 16 footer tho for some bigger water capability and not as much cramped up leg joints...lol.

Why not put a board or pipe across the back rack & lift the front put it on the pipe lift the back & push it forward til in place, you would need something wide enough the boat won't slide off the side

Richard

Never thought of that, and I already have a 2x6 at the front of the racks to hold the bow of the boat off the roof :wallbash:

Never thought of that, and I already have a 2x6 at the front of the racks to hold the bow of the boat off the roof :wallbash:

I was thinking some kind of wide roller on the back. Doesn't have to be state of the art slick since there's no speed or heat buildup involved. Lift the bow onto it then lift and push from the transom. One pushup at the end and it's in place. The bow weight will actually lift most if not all the stern weight for you.

JF

I was thinking some kind of wide roller on the back. Doesn't have to be state of the art slick since there's no speed or heat buildup involved. Lift the bow onto it then lift and push from the transom. One pushup at the end and it's in place. The bow weight will actually lift most if not all the stern weight for you.

JF

hmmmm... i wonder where i can find some of those old grocery basket rollers that used to be in the stores before they stopped helping old people with "drive up " grocery loading

Edited by splashhopper

hmmmm... i wonder where i can find some of those old grocery basket rollers that used to be in the stores before they stopped helping old people with "drive up " grocery loading

I was even thinking as basic as a piece of pvc tubing over some kind of stronger pipe that just fits inside. Between the slippery surface and the free wheeling centre it would probably work for you.

I was even thinking as basic as a piece of pvc tubing over some kind of stronger pipe that just fits inside. Between the slippery surface and the free wheeling centre it would probably work for you.

Dang, you are not just another pretty face now are you :good:

Edited by splashhopper

My dad had used two of those old rollers from the old wringer washers mounted on the back edge of the wooden box cap/camper he also had made. That's how it worked for him as well, since I was just a little gaffer and of no help, he just put the bow up onto them rollers and pushed it up from the stern.

Might even still be able to find some of them old rollers around in a scrap metal junkyard. Could maybe slip some pipe insulation over a piece of black iron pipe or electric conduit pipe...with a rod or dowel inside that.