Newbie in Lake Ontario...any help?

Chugger

Hi Guys,

I'm brining my boat down from the cottage for a few weeks and intend to take it out on the big lake out of Torotno fishing for salmon. I have riggers and do a lot of lake trout fishing, but I think salmon fishing is quite a bit different. Any tips from what depths to look at to what line I should be running, and lures i should be using are all very much appreciated!

Cheers,

-Graeme

follow the pack of boats... that should put you in the general area

This year has been less quantity, but more quality... (less fish, but bigger fish)

don't forget the net!!

keep an eye on your sonar... that'll basically tell you where to put your lures

typically fish are deeper this year...

spoons, spin doctors and flies work well

bright day, bright colors, dark day, dark colors...

blue/silver northern king spoon (available at wally world and crappy tire) has always been a favorite of mine...

dipsys, leadcore, copper also working...

if using dipsys, you'll want a good sturdy rod holder... salty s10s work best

you'll want about 20lb line atleast if you're new to the game

lake trout fight way way less then salmon, first hookup and you'll see it's game on!!

try and have appropriate tackle... (rods, good drags on reels...)

try and find bait balls and work that area

GOSD is starting tomorrow, it'll be a zoo out there...

good luck

check out recent posts on spoonpullers. Seems bronte to credit have been seeing their fair share of fish. I came across the skyway this afternoon and the north shore from Hamilton to Oakville was showing fog off the lake so there's still a whack of cold water pushed in there tight. 100-180 FOW and 30-60 down seems popular. From what I here on VHF in the driveway (Im in Oakville) it's been a spoon bite - blacks green glows

Geez i wish i could get some time and get out there

What are the maximum number of rods you can have out per person on lake ontario? I can't find mention of it in the rules.

Cheers,

-G.

2 rods per person on Lake Ontario when in a boat. Careful though, there are exceptions like the BOQ.

2 rods per person on Lake Ontario when in a boat. Careful though, there are exceptions like the BOQ.

I have a good feeling that the bay in the hammer has this same rule,correct me if Im wrong. And long point inner and outer bay as well.

Edited by vinnimon