Help choosing a bass rod

Sketty55

Hi all. I usually just buy whatever's on sale and stick with that. This year I'd like to buy something specific to my needs. As I browse the net it's hard to believe how many options exist, and rods specific to precise applications. I'm not looking to be the next KVD but don't want a Sponge Bob Square Pants rod from Can Tire either!

I like the idea of a telescopic rod that can fit into my car (I currently have a Quantum Tour one piece that sits in my garage as it's not convenient for my car). Ideally I would like something suited to all applications, likely a med-heavy, fast action and willing to spend a couple hundred bucks. So far iv'e heard G Loomis and St. Croix make excellent choices but thought I would check in there to see any specific choices that might be recommended. Thanks!!

take a look at the quantum energy PT rods... they make a wide assortment of lengths and actions to suit ur needs, they run around 100 bucks depending on where ya go, have a good warrenty and the warrenty center is great to deal with, and they come in 2 piece.

depending on the style of rod (baitcast or spinning)..the price you have in mind as well what you are mainly going to be using on the rod.. tho with out knowing what you are usin the rod for i would suggest one of the Shimano Compre's but like i said its hard to tell you what to look into with little information given

for a spinning rod, sort of an all purpose stick, I would suggest the G. Loomis GL3 SJR783-2 spinning rod, which is med. heavy power, fast action, two piece. for up to 5/8 oz baits and up to 15 pound line I think..although 10 or 12 would be probably max. with a spinning reel to avoid excessive line memory etc.

I have the SJR782 in GL3, 1 piece (medium power) and it is amazing, but its only rated for up to 3/8th oz. baits. I tend to fish on the lighter side, I use mine with 8 pound test mono. It cast a 1/4 oz. crankbait across the lake!

I like using the Loomis spinning rods in the GL3 flavour, as I much prefer the handle style to that of the IMX/GLX rods. the IMX spinning rods have a lock nut that screws down onto your spinning reel and you are holding it when you are fishing. I don't really like that. the GL3's have a reel seat where the lock nut screw up from the bottom so you not holding it while fishing.

minor I know, but if you are going to spend $200+ on a great rod, comfort should be a consideration.

I also have a St. Croix Avid 6'6 spinning rod that is great too, I think some of them are available in a two peice configuration as well.

best thing to do is go to the tackle store and check em out! :)

Guest Johnny Bass

St.Croix, Shimano very good choices. Medium heavy/fast action is just about right for most bass applications. If your using crankbaits,minnow baits or live bait, just stick to a plain medium.

I prefer one piece rods because they have more backbone and are more sensitive. You can feel the lure, bottom better. But I guess for some people they can be inconvienient, and that explains why not too many tackle shops carry one pieces anymore....

I used to put my 6'6 one peice Loomis in my little old Volkswagen Golf, no problem. just put it up in the front seat and lean it back through the console.

so you don't need a big car to have a 1 peice rod, just don't get a 7 footer :)

I agree - if you can go 1 peice, go 1 peice. more sensitive, lighter and that weak spot of the ferrule is not there. I know modern rods are better than the two piece rods of old, but still if you can swing 1 peice its good.

I do find that they cast much smoother than two peice rods.

I think a good quality two peice rod would be better than a telescopic rod. most telescopic rods out there just aren't that great IMO.

if you really want to go with a really travel friendly rod that can literally be packed into a bag, a few years ago at Bass Pro I bought a St. Croix Premier 7 foot Medium power 3 peice spinning rod, that came with a really nice codura covered rod tube for I think around $200. I am sure they still make this three peice model.

I pack it in my suitcase when I go on airplanes for vacations. its a great rod and very travel friendly, especially for air travel and it obviously can be packed in any trunk of a car.

just something to consider.

Edited by 12 Volt Man

When I think telescopic rods, there's probably only one I can think of that is general purpose..and I don't even know if it's made anymore...the Shimano telescopic rod which was sold at lebaron for close to $100. It also came in a 6 piece version... If you're willing to shell out $200, I wouldn't even think about that one.

And as for most telescopic rods, I find they are usually the 7'6 - 8'6 flipping rods. Lots of companies have them, and I'm always under the impression that I might as well go for something slightly shorter and 1 piece instead...If length really is a big deal. I find that a small sedan could easily fit an 8' rod without too much difficulty.

heres the best advice i can give u. forget about all the rods u have been told about here. because all ur getting is a bunch of guys telling u to buy the brand they use and like. so their opinions are all extremely bias. based on what u wanna use the rod for, and from what i believe i read, was just a versitile all around use rod. i would go with a med/hvy rod with a fast action. length is up to u. i know u need somethin u can travel with, but 6'6" to 7' would be best. trying to find a quality telescopic rod is not easy. especially the ones that fully collapse down. typically rods that telescope down are longer rods over 7'6" that only shorten by about a foot to fit in rod lockers on boats.

i would look for a 2 piece rod. there are lots available and a lot easier to find a good quality rod. they are still great for travel as well. they'll fit easily into the back seat or trunk of ur car.

if u have a reel already decided on to be used.... go to a tackle store with said reel, look at a few rods in the price range u want. whatever brand u like, st croix, quantum, shimano, etc. pick the ones that look good to u... then once u have 2 or 3 u like, put the reel on each rod and hold it. see how it feels to u in ur hands. go through the motions of casting, working a bait... do that with each rod. once u have done that, u can make a decision on what rod best suits u based on how it feels to u.

its all about what is comfortable to each angler. what one guy likes, may not be best for the next guy.