Pigeon Lake Musky

Hey everyone,

I'm looking for some tips for fishing musky on pigeon lake. I am going the last week of july and have never been before.

Any suggestions on lures and location?

I've never been musky fishing before and all suggestions and tips are very much appreciated!

Thanks!

Dax does know that lake very well I would suggest taking his tips in and that is a great point Dax I will try and remember that before helping on how to catch start with the release and handling.

First you need good bolt cutters even the 8" from CTC will work a large net rubber coated is also a must two sets of long nose pliers I have 3-4 of them just in case some times I need the bent ones. I like jaw spreaders they help at times some don't like them but they sure are great when you need them.I know if you do a search on here there are a few good threads on release tools for musky fishing.

Ideally you should have some decent release gear - cutters and long nose pliers at the least. I wouldn't expect you to go out and drop big bucks on a cradles or landing net though.

Pigeon is a fairly decent sized lake. What type of boat do you have and what area of the lake will you be on?

l-t-f

...Dax hit the nail on the head if it'll be your first time out. PLEASE make sure you have the correct or ample release gear, perhaps your boat partner has already, if not, educate him.

There is plenty of internet info out there on lunge fishing pigeon even right here on the search engine for ...

What type of Rod.

What type of reel.

What type of line.

Do I need a leader. What type of lures and how deep do I run them or how fast.

Release tools...

Release tools first Please!

Dax, Mike...instead of them jaw spreaders Ive been using about 1-1/2"- dowling wrapped with hockey tape on the ends so's to protect the inner mouth in 6", 8",10" & 12" depending on the fish these past few years and found it much quicker and less awkward.

My $0.02.

Be well all!

EDIT: that'll be 6-8-10 & 12" lengths folks..lol

Edited by brickNblock

Just throw bucktails along weedlines, or troll perch imitations as close to the weeds as you can without getting snagged. The usual depth where the weeds stop growing in Pigeon is around 12ft deep. Any shallower than that and the weeds will be thick. I will be at Pigeon the second to last week of July and will be hunting musky in my kayak. If you have any other question send me a PM.

Thanks guys. I have knipex cutters, a large rubber frabill net, needle nose pliers and jaw spreaders.

Its just a rental boat at a resort i'm staying at, nothing fancy unfortunately.

What resort are you staying at? I live on the lake and depending on where you will be, I can give some pointers.