Ramp adventures

KawarthaGuy

Well I got stuck in my fav shallow ramp yesterday. Its so shallow that most people avoid it but with my 12 ft that I just push off and winch back up, no prob or so I thought.

I drive a front wheel drive Toyota Matrix - standard transmission and the right wheel is spinning. So this is what I did:

1. Take the boat off.

2. Disconnect the trailer and tie it to a stump so it does not roll back.

3. With a lighter load I was able to drive out.

4. Back in again on a diff angle.

5. Re-attach the trailer, put the boat on and was able to pull the whole rig out.

Some anxious moments for sure. I think my next car will be AWD!

KawathaGuy

glad to here you made it out alright.

heck people always looked at us like we were crazy when they would see dad and I pulling the boat down roads not meant for a truck and here would be the good ol caravan tracking on and then hit them crappy launches but if you take them like you did most are do able. I think Buster might have been with us on the groomed trail ride but that's a different story for another thread.

Funny, but I'm just the opposite when I'm looking for a boat ramp.

I've got a huge amount of $$$$ invested in my boat & truck, a small fortune in fishing tackle, plus whatever I spend on gas for both the truck & boat, along with whatever other expenses are required for a day of fishing.

After all that, the last thing I'm concerned with is another $15 to launch the boat. A decent marina will normally have a parking lot, a nice level concrete ramp, a good dock to tie the boat to while I move the truck and often gas pumps if required.

I always scratch my head at the many times on this board where folks will plan a day on the water but will ask where they can launch a boat for free.

Maybe it's just me, but the fee for a good ramp is the smallest expense I'll incure all day, but is one of the best investments. :Gonefishing: