new Shimano Calcutta TE DC

GbayGiant

gallery_322_145_3817.jpg

Got a Cabela's spring catalogue in the mail today and drooled all over it and seen this, I think I'll wait for a few years of reviews before I take the plunge in this one, what's next ? a personal robot to fish for you while you sip a cold one ? :D

Shimano Calcutta TE® DC Baitcasting Reels

Winner of the 2003 ICAST Best of Show Award, Shimano's new Calcutta TE® DC baitcasting reel features the greatest innovation in reel technology in years: a computer chip pre-programmed with eight spool-braking patterns to match lure weight and spool speed. The self-energizing digital braking system allows you to cast farther than you ever have before and put an end to backlash.

How It Works:

During the initial moments of a cast, the energy generated by the rotation of the spool is stored in the digital control circuit board and used to power the digital braking system for subsequent casts. The waterproof digital control system of a Calcutta TE DC is a self-energizing system, recharging with each cast.

By simply turning the external 8 position dial to the selected setting, the Calcutta TE DC allows access up to 8 different pre-programmed braking patterns based on lure type, wind conditions, or casting method. The digital control braking system allows the electromagnetic brake to be applied every 1/1000 of a second. As the brakes are activated, the digital brake system emits electronic beep sounds reinforcing the sense of digital control.

With this technology, each of the 8 pre-programmed braking patterns provide awesome control of the feeding of the line by applying the ideal amount of braking force at critical intervals. As a result, it is possible to achieve long, accurate casts with consistent backlash control.

Calcutta TE DC features:

Digital circuit is sealed to prevent moisture intrusion and corrosion

Braking frequency: updates every 1/1000 of a second

Precision machine cut aluminum frame

Rigid aluminum sideplates keep gears in precise alignment

High Efficiency Gearing (HEG™)

Smooth and High Power Dartainium® drag performance

Super Free Pinion Gear System (SF™) eliminates friction between the pinion gear and the spool shaft for increased freespool

Lightweight aluminum wiffle spool to further enhance freespool

Large diameter super Duralumin main gear for increased durability

Super Stopper® Anti-Reverse

10BB+1RB™ Anti-Rust Bearings

0.35mm micro pitch cast control knob with a high precision click sound

Cold forged handle

Recessed reel foot for excellent palmability and comfort

$499 US

Its actaully a few years old already and has solid reviews as well!

review: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanocalcuttatedc.html

I almost picked one up in 2004, but they didnt have the left hand model in store. (just aswell, my VISA bill was(is) too big)

Personally, i'd like to see a slightly larger version come out.

The newset version is the low profile one...cost is about $650

SHCDC.JPG

review: http://tackletour.com/reviewshimanocalaisdcreview.html

Edited by mepps

Saw a link on japan market Shimano a few weeks ago.. Thought it was on this site

They were offering an upgraded version of this reel looked like solid gold

Enough to make a grown man drool.

"IF I HAD A MILLION DOLLARS"

Wow, that Daiwa Ishidai Z looks killer. To bad reels don't have lifetime warranties like rods, I wouldn't mind dropping some more cash on them.

They consider 6 years a life time warranty I was reading, not bad but you would have to ship it back to Japan.

Edited by GbayGiant

I have the left handed model 201 te dc and it is trully amazing. You can chuck your bait out a mile with no backlash. Just don't try using it for flipping as you will get a backlash. The chip does not operate well for flipping baits. There is some small adjustments that you should make which are dependant on bait weight and wind, but it is much simpler than other reels that i have had. Very smooth reel!