My Vacation Tackle Box - Part One - Georgian Bay Pike

I had luck earlier this season with the XR-10 in gold, boated two around 30" in an afternoon. The Husky Jerk in clear perch as mentioned earlier. Koppers LIVETARGET perch or Herring. Mepps #5 Black Flury in the red or chartreuse have a sturdy reputation there as well. Last but not least, Northlands In-Line bucktail spinner in black and red.

@ Nipfisher:

You like Rapalas as much as I do apparently - I've got 3 Trays of the things and that doesn't include the ones that are too big to fit in the trays. You like firetiger more than me though ;) I prefer normal perch patterns, though firetiger plays its roll in stained water.

I had luck earlier this season with the XR-10 in gold, boated two around 30" in an afternoon. The Husky Jerk in clear perch as mentioned earlier. Koppers LIVETARGET perch or Herring. Mepps #5 Black Flury in the red or chartreuse have a sturdy reputation there as well. Last but not least, Northlands In-Line bucktail spinner in black and red.

Yeah, I have 2 of the LiveTarget that I forgot to metion (as they were in my vest) - I can't wait to fish those baits in a water where they are meant to be fished. Apparently those things are flying off the shelves wherever they are sold, despite the hefty price tag.

I bought a bluefox vibrax 6 bucktail spinner on sale for 8.99 (12.99 at CT). It's firetiger - a musky or big pike bait. I'm going to buy its twin in silver (spinner) bucktail (black & red) as well.

Thanks for the advice.

I mainly fish Nipissing and it is very dark (silty) water. Firetiger works well here for pike. In the one shot I have 3 of the Johnson's Woodchopper baits. They sit on the water and with the slightest pull the rear prop spits up water. I have had some nice fish on them. I'm looking for a 48"-50" this year. I have a buddy who is a guide and I think I'll actually pay him.

Rapala taildancer number 9 for walleye and husky jerks for pike, a bit bigger id say. Big bass will hit them as well.

Sadly, I don't think we're going to dedicate too much time on Walleye on this vacation. As we don't know the water that well, we fear that we'll have to dedicate too much prime fishing time to find honey holes.

For now the HJ8-HJ10 will have to suffice as I dont want to drop the $40 on 4 more Rapalas - I generally just get them on Ebay in the off seasons as they are much cheaper.

• 2 weeks later...

Not required, but you might consider some pike flies. I tried some on my last trip and had some fun. I used my spinning gear with a spin bubble and tied the fly on using some Tygear leader material. Just something different.

Cheers.

Take a book. The fishing is crap everywhere this year.

Jim

Here, here! I was at my cottage in parry sound and I usually get nice pike on the regular but only a few and they were the tiniest I've caught in my life.

I went to my cottage in the Parry Sound area as well, and the Smallies were definitely off. Normally I have the lake to myself, but 4 other boats were on (I'm assuming they were campers), and all reported slow fishing over the 3 days I was there. Very disappointing to hear its the case elsewhere, but I'm sure it will pick up soon.

Edited by ctranter

I went to my cottage in the Parry Sound area as well, and the Smallies were definitely off. Normally I have the lake to myself, but 4 other boats were on (I'm assuming they were campers), and all reported slow fishing over the 3 days I was there. Very disappointing to hear its the case elsewhere, but I'm sure it will pick up soon.

I'm worried, the cribs left by the old boat house on the front of my island had ZERO rock bass and usually you are trying to reel in fast over the crib to avoid them.... And there were only a few smallies around the island and not too many in a smaller back bay that usually has 100's... I just hope it was the weather :dunno: There were about 20 big spawning smallies around my island on the May 24 weekend, I saw them when I took the kid around in the canoe. And I was getting decent sized pike then.... Probably just a bad week for fishing!