adding a tach to a merc

Raf

all this talk about props & rpms has me curious about my rig. i know what the WOT rpms should be but my ear isn't that trained. ;)

what is involved in installing a tach on my 30 4-stroke merc tiller (2001)? is this something better left to a professional? i am somewhat mechanically inclined -- at least when it comes to automobile engines.

I'll take it Phil

The one Terry suggested works by wrapping around a plug wire.. which would work fine but not as clean as I'd like. From reading on the net, the 'factory' ones connect into the charging circuit and my motor may already have a connector for it.

Edited by Raf

Hey raf

keep an eye on your fuel consumption....im thinking of going to a 30 fourstroke....now a 5gallon lasts me the weekend with all the travel and trolling.....i see basspro has 25 fourstrokes for $4000.00

How long does your 5 gallong last as we do about the same travel when fishing but i dont carries Jp's wieght...lol

I'll take it Phil

The one Terry suggested works by wrapping around a plug wire.. which would work fine but not as clean as I'd like. From reading on the net, the 'factory' ones connect into the charging circuit and my motor may already have a connector for it.

Ok, it's yours. It's in Nigeria right now, so send me a money transfer for shipping and we're good to go!

Ok ok, it's really in Pickering, but can bring it next week to downtown TO, let me know. Actually, how would I explain a tach in my pocket at the G 20 security gates. ;)

Edited by Harrison

Thanks Blue Pickeral, the 30 & 40 are essentially the same motor for those years. I'd appreciate it! :thumbsup_anim:

Was not able to get away this past weekend, however, did some internet digging which might help you find a tach. The tach I used was the Quicksilver International II series - part number 79-825348A1. You can get a look at one here: (sorry for the long url)

http://www.marinepowerservice.com/BoatingStore/browse_parts3_kel.cf

m/the_start/17/sort_mfg/0/sort_price_from/0/sort_price_to/0/sort_pr

oducts/0/parent_cat/443085/parent_cat1/454915/parent_cat2/451425/pa

rent_cat3/454052/parent_cat4/454221/layout/detail/display/16.cfm

(search www.marinepowerservice.com if url doesn't work)

Unfortunately, an application chart is not on this site, but a Mercury dealer could help you out with the right model. There were four wires on it - +12 volt for power, a ground, +12 volt for gauge backlighting, and the wire that ran to where it picked up signals from the outboard. I can't remember where it hooked up, but it was a simple spice/connection to an existing connector.

The directions that come with the tach also have a list of engine types and which 'settings' are used....you use a small screwdriver to choose the correct pulse.

Hope this will be of help. I have a side console model with throttle/gear box, but should be similar to the wiring harness/outputs of a tiller.