Infatable PFD

DanD

What’s everyone's take on these inflatable PFDs?

I can hardly stand wearing a regular PFD; I try to remember to put it on when powered up but more times then none its hanging on the back of the seat.

So I’m thinking of getting an inflatable and make myself put it on anytime I’m in the boat.

My question is which one, a manual or automatic inflate?

I can see the benefit of the auto; falling overboard and bonking your head, the thing will inflate for you.

But how sensitive are these things; would I have to be concerned of the thing inflating in a down poor of rain? I’m not talking a shower that’ll wet your clothing down but the kind of rain that the bilge pump has to work at keeping up with the rain coming into the boat.

Have there been many stories of either style inflating accidentally or accidentally on purpose with the help of your fishing partner?

Thanks.

Dan.

I have a "Mustang Survival" that I'm really happy with. Lightweight and comfortable. Bought it at the sportsmans show i T-O.

It's automatic, but can also be manually inflated if needed.

As far as I know, most of these don't inflate by water pressure. It's a kind of tablet/pill that dissolves in water and then activates a springloaded mechanism to release the CO2 bottle for inflation. It needs to be really soaked though, I don't think heavy rain will do it. (The mechanism is covered for rain.)

I have the Mustang Auto-inflate (not the deluxe one, but it is auto). I love wearing it and if there is one drawback it is that you forget to take it off and look like a dork walking around town in it.

It has also gone off twice on me. In both cases it has been in a heavy downpour when the vest was stored in the boat.The replacement Co2 thingy is about $20.00, but I guess I at least know that it will work.

I paid $160 for mine at the sportsman show two shows ago (which for an auto is still a good price) but I guess it's $200 if you add the cartridges. It is my fault though, as in both cases I should have had the vest off the boat and in the cottage.

One more thing: The standard model is a little rough around the neckline. The deluxe model has this taken care of by adding some padding there. If you get the standard one think about making a neck guard out of an old sweat shirt or something.

All in all, I love it and would not be without it. I use one all the time as it is often only my son and I in the boat, so I can't afford to be macho, I have to survive.

Regards,

Jim

I've also been looking.

I was kind of scared off of the Cabelas offerings, after reading the premature, and hap-hazard firings of the auto-inflations. At $20+/inflation, in the auto mode, not exactly what I had hoped for.

Some promise that rain won't "do the deed", but customer testimonies differ.

I too don't like wearing them, but the safety of having it on, it far outways the catastrophe of not wearing them.

I'm going to Alaska in the fall, and will be using something. I'd like it to be an inflatable, but right now, I'm not so sure.

I have standard PFDs in the boat but I now always wear a Mustang inflatable model 3017. The re-arm kits are listed at $29.95 I believe but I'm sure you can get them for less.

I love wearing it and if there is one drawback it is that you forget to take it off and look like a dork walking around town in it.

LOL

I can see me now!!!

Walking into Timmies and some kid pulling the cord; a double/double and a box of bits against the ceiling.

Thanks for the input people.

Dan.

I'd recommend you purchase Mustangs MD3153 inflatable PFD. I purchased mine in 2007 because every other PFD I ever had was never worn. I've never experienced a rain induced inflation in 4 years and I've been in lots of downpours. And as Radnine posted, they're so comfortable to wear, you'll forget you have it on. And that's the point to buying these things! It's a purchase you won't ever regret.

Here's an excerpt from Mustang's web site about model MD3153:

The award-winning MD3153 Inflatable PFD with HIT (Hydrostatic Inflator Technology)is Mustang Survival's top-of-the-line inflatable PFD. Designed for serious users with exclusive technology that enhances safety and minimizes maintenance, this is our most popular inflatable PFD.The Hydrostatic Inflator Technology offers reliable inflation in a low maintenance design that will only automatically inflate when submerged in 4 or more inches of water and not inadvertently due to rain, spray or humidity. Exclusive to Mustang Survival in North America and maintenance-free for 5 years or until inflated.

Make sure you buy it from a Canadian retailer. You can often find these pretty cheap from different US sites (Cabelas or Bass Pro...etc) but the ones sold in the States are US Coast Guard approved and not Canadian approved. So from my understanding, you can wear one of the US ones but would then still need to have an actual Canadian approved life jacket somewhere in the boat.