Lake Simcoe Report

fishersquige

What a fantastic day it was lol. Living in the GTA my friends and I leave the house early so that we can get a parking spot at our destination. We encounter a beautiful winter storm and visibility was horrendous off the 400. Snow covered roads also didn't help the driving. Finally get there and it wasn't to cold but the wind was fierce lol at at least 30-40 km. At first light the bite was great marking a lot of fish and landing two out of our group. Still managed a nice 2-3 lbs laker. Then quite a few hours later I decide to rest my rod on my chair and walk to my friends hut. After our little chat I walk back over to my chair and I see my chair tipping over and with a blink of an eye there goes my rod down the hole. My stupidity leaving it like that in the wind. Luckily my friend had the genius idea of jigging a heavy spoon off the bottom and low and behold my luck changed somewhat I hooked on to it and retrieved it. But all in all still a good day.

HPIM0068.jpg

HPIM0069.jpg

Nice fish, That's funny I did the same thing last spring and got my rod back with a heavy spoon before I had to go for a polar bear dip.

Looks like a murder scene on CSI with all that splatted DNA over the snow. :canadian:

Edited by GbayGiant

Clampet: Lake Trout have a great taste especially in that 2 lbs range. Trout even taste good with the simplest ingredients. Just even with salt, pepper dipped in flour and fried in oil and butter sprinkled with lemon over top. Or if your getting in to the larger sizes 3lbs and up your better off bbqing it or even smoking it largely due to the fat content. But either way lakers taste great.

Edited by Fishersquige

Those lakers from Simcoe can be a little greasy for sure. The smaller ones, under 5lbs, are quite good tasting, as long as you remove the belly fat! I also find that brining the fillets ( soaking in salt water) for 5-10 minutes works well at drawing some of the fat out of the flesh. I like to fillet the fish removing the belly fat, and then bake the boneless skinless fillets in the oven seasoned with lemon and lime zest, salt and pepper and a sprinkling of good tequila!

I have only caught one laker this year, but have limited out on Whitefish 7 times so far! :clapping::thumbsup_anim: We have been finding the whities around 50-60 fow. This season has been the best for whitefish in at least a decade for me!

We have also been catching lots of herring (cisco), this is a good sign for sure, hopefully they are making a comeback! Of course, all herring were released as there is a ZERO possession limit on them.

Edited by fatdaddy