Browns up high and down low

timmeh

Along with the normal excitement of spring time fishing this year had a little added bonus, as I decided I would try my hand a fly fishing this year. So, for the past month or so I've been working hard perfect my techniques. It's been a tough at times to say the least, but I think things are starting to come together. It's nice to have the upper Grand within a 20 minute drive, so that's where most of my work has been done. Plenty of fish but they are heavily pressured so it can be a challenge.

I started out mostly working streamers, as this was the simplest way to begin. I was able to take a few fish here and there, mostly of the smaller variety. In the last few trips I've decided to really focus hard on fishing dries when a hatch is going on and working nymphs the rest of the time. My aquatics background has certainly helped with matching the hatch, but proper presentation is a different story. Producing a drag free drift in a larger river is more difficult than it may seem, especially for a greenhorn.

But this past week it all really came together. Early one morning I sat and watched a fish rising consistently from beside a large rock. After I figured out what he was taking and what I thought would be the best way to approach him, I made my move. Landing my cast just upstream, I watched in anticipation as the fly drifted down. When the fish rose and sipped in the fly I was initially stunned but recover to set the hook. I expected it would be a little first year stocker but was not disappointed when it turned out to be a 15 inch beauty.

IMG_0154.jpg

In the meantime I've been able to take several fish on dries, though nothing of much size since the first one.

Unfortunately the fish aren't always rising so I've had to work on my nymphing, and it needs a lot of work. I've found this to be one of the toughest types of fishing I've done but practice is paying off. Again my first fish on the nymph was a decent sized fish, and since then I've continued to pick up mostly smaller fish, but they do seem to be coming with more consistency each time.

IMG_0158.jpg

Here are a few of the larger ones I've taken on streamers so far this spring.

IMG_0138.jpg

IMG_0134.jpg

I've also spent some time working some brookie streams and picked up a few fish there as well.

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

I was also lucky enough to pick up my PB brookie a week ago. This fish was beauty and the pic really doesn't do him any justice but here it is anyhow. Also all fish were released quickly to be caught by me again once they're bigger.

IMG_0153.jpg

Now of a few extra pics I've taken so far..

I'm sure you've all caught fish that were so full you couldn't believe the were still hungry but check this guy out. Despite having a large crayfish sticking out his mouth he still decided to hit a large streamer. Pretty aggressive for a 4 inch smallie...

IMG_0147.jpg

Not normally one for posting pics of shiners but I couldn't believe the colors on this fish. The sides were almost a fluorescent pink and the edges of every fish including the tail had a bright red stripe. Again my camera didn't really capture this too well but here it is anyhow.

IMG_0155.jpg

Finally can anyone give me an ID on this guy?

IMG_0159.jpg

Until next time........

IMG_0148.jpg

Edited by timmeh

nice report... :thumbsup_anim:

i wish i could help you with the ID on that guy ....my son and i caught one about ten years ago in goderich off the rocks...never ever found out what it was and to this day still wonder....ours was a bit bigger then yours and could breath out of water ( almost lizzard/fish like)

Great report! Consider yourself fortunate to have seen one...It looks to me to be a Van Dyke's salamander and if it is, it's one of the rarest in North America. Do you have a hi-res pic of it?

You have now found one of lifes greatest joy, enjoy!

You should be proud of yourself, the Grand is a fun river with very well educated fish and that can also lead to a lot of frustation, my dad and I fish it many times and I can not count the number of times we would have a rising fish rise and take a look at the flie and if it was not just pefect down they went.

The only othe thing that can make this even more enjoyable is to catch a fish on one of your own tied flies.

Great post, FLEX

Guest Johnny Bass

You have now found one of lifes greatest joy, enjoy!

You should be proud of yourself, the Grand is a fun river with very well educated fish and that can also lead to a lot of frustation, my dad and I fish it many times and I can not count the number of times we would have a rising fish rise and take a look at the flie and if it was not just pefect down they went.

The only othe thing that can make this even more enjoyable is to catch a fish on one of your own tied flies.

Great post, FLEX

Very nice. I never get bored of seeing trout pictures. And the last one of you fly fishing looks really cool. Thanks for sharing.