Dalton McGuinty

Chris

I am not sure what you are asking Johnny. A turbine on an automobile, if it is exhaust driven is called a turbocharger. a supercharger if it is belt driven.

They both do the same thing, cram (compress) more air into the combustion chamber and when mixed with more fuel, they produce more power. So yes, they are increasing the amount of air (compared to a naturally aspirated car engine) by pressurizing it. However, air without fuel is just air and if you add air you also need to add fuel. Both also need to fuel to run (exhaust in the case of a turbo, the crank spinning in the case of a SC)

Edited by Raf

A by-product of Oil exploration is Natural Gas... both are fossil fuels. We use Natural Gas to fuel some electricity generation. Either way both come from the ground, both contribute to killing our planet. As a by-product.

I am not a tree hugger by any means... but the recent Oil platform explosion has changed my views a bit..

We truly are killing this planet.

G

Do we have turbines that are powered by exhaust gases in cars to power an intake air compressor??

The way turbines are shaped, it looks like it involves air intake to create power.

The power comes from the exhaust being pushed out the back of the engine. The jet fuel requires oxygen to burn. The air intake at the front of the engine is serves to provide air (which contains oxygen) for the combustion process.

If the air itself produced the power then air planes would require fuel to operate.

Guest Johnny Bass

The power comes from the exhaust being pushed out the back of the engine. The jet fuel requires oxygen to burn. The air intake at the front of the engine is serves to provide air (which contains oxygen) for the combustion process.

If the air itself produced the power then air planes would require fuel to operate.

I'm not suggesting that the car just run on air. Just that it utilizes(improves energy consumption using) the power of the wind. When I put my arm outside the window on the highway, I feel the power the wind is generating.The primary energy source would be fuel or electricity. The energy made by the air would be a secondary source. Recharging a battery or whatnot.

I'm not suggesting that the car just run on air. Just that it utilizes(improves energy consumption using) the power of the wind. When I put my arm outside the window on the highway, I feel the power the wind is generating.The primary energy source would be fuel or electricity. The energy made by the air would be a secondary source. Recharging a battery or whatnot.

As previously pointed out by Jer, the additional wind resistance caused by generating electricity from the wind would cause your car to burn more fuel. The additional energy required to power the car would exceed the amount of energy that was produced by the wind; it's called the law of conservation of energy.

Mount wind generators on a car would actually waste energy; not save it.