Nipissing

blarg

It is scary low, I didn't hit anything, but i thought i was going to a couple times. I fished off of North Bay for a couple hours this morning starting around 8, caught a couple perch, I saw another perch boated, there didn't seem to be much going on. Went for a quick cruise around the manitou islands, and while I probably had no less than 3 feet of water it is a bit unnerving to see a rock pile come at you. It's the one you never saw before and are now suddenly praying you don't hit. yikes. Sometimes I think these polarized glasses are best at scaring me.

Edited by blarg

good advice :clapping: ... and a little story

About 20 yrs ago, I rented a cottage on the NW Arm (of Lake Nipissing) for the first time, and after getting unpacked and settled, I jumped in the rented 18ft cedar strip with a trusty 15hp Merc and made a bee-line with my 5 yr old son for the Hardwoods - Little Oak area. Heard there was sometimes good fishing there.

Fished along the east shore, caught a Pike and had a blast doing it.

So back to camp we went, full speed of course, and following the EXACT same route, or so I thought. Well ... as I now know, in normal water levels there is a nasty (mostly hidden) rock line on the East side of the Hardwoods out towards Little Oak.

All of a sudden ... KBOOOOMMMMMM ... motor kicks up so violently, that the top becomes disengaged, and becomes airborne. :w00t:

I can see it to this day, ten or more feet in the air flipping over and over then landing flat (top) side up in the lake .. and floating. Well the motor is still running believe it or not ... my son is eating an apple and doesn't seem to know anything happened ... he is loving the outing.

So I gingerly turn the boat around after having the presence of mind to 'tilt' the motor, and carefully capture the motor top in the landing net, all the while avoiding the rock shoal that just about got my lunch. Snapped it back on, and away we go. Back at the dock, the skeg is a little bruised, but the motor was undamaged and served us well for the rest of our week.

True story folks ... so when on Nipissing make sure your motor is set to kick up, just in case there is a surprise in store. Good fishing.

In the early eighties I was fishing well off shore with my brother. We decided to move to a different spot. I opened up the 25hp outboard and noticed two terns standing on the water. Thank the good Lord for letting me quickly realize that terns don't stand on water. I cut the power and pulled the engine up just in time. I'm sure anyone fishing Lake Nipissing/French River has similar stories, but that was an eye opener for me.

How low is the water? Is it as low as it was in May/June of 1999? I remember the water was down some 4 feet the first week of June in 99.

I sure wish you guys would get some rain up there. I am taking my first fishing trip at the end of June to Temagami and I hope it isn't ruined by these water levels. It will not stop raining down here in Indiana.

How low is the water? Is it as low as it was in May/June of 1999? I remember the water was down some 4 feet the first week of June in 99.

In May of '99 we fished Red Cedar Lake just north of North Bay and the water there was also down several feet, infact the ends of the docks were hi & dry and if I remember correctly I think they told us the water was out about 50' from the normal beach location.

I used to have some great photos of the water levels but their lost somewhere in the vastness of my puter never to be seen again :lol:

Red Cedar has had no flow into it for weeks. Last day or so they are giving it a bit from upstream. Thistle lake below Red Cedar has beach as far as your imagination can fathom..

Temagami is still over 2 feet below late SUMMER levels... I'll have an update on Tuesday when my buddy gets back from the lake.

10 point.. your vacation will be just fine! Tamar will have their boats in, one way or another, and you'll be just fine. Most of the lake is 80 FOW or more. You'll be just fine.. once you swim out to the houseboat! LOL

Edited by irishfield

All of a sudden ... KBOOOOMMMMMM ... motor kicks up so violently, that the top becomes disengaged, and becomes airborne. :w00t:

I can see it to this day, ten or more feet in the air flipping over and over then landing flat (top) side up in the lake .. and floating. Well the motor is still running believe it or not ... my son is eating an apple and doesn't seem to know anything happened ... he is loving the outing.

THANK YOU, your son just made my day...HE!! no.......my WEEK...LOL

10 point.. your vacation will be just fine! Tamar will have their boats in, one way or another, and you'll be just fine. Most of the lake is 80 FOW or more. You'll be just fine.. once you swim out to the houseboat! LOL

I need my Dad's boat in the water not their boats!

It is scary low, I didn't hit anything, but i thought i was going to a couple times. I fished off of North Bay for a couple hours this morning starting around 8, caught a couple perch, I saw another perch boated, there didn't seem to be much going on. Went for a quick cruise around the manitou islands, and while I probably had no less than 3 feet of water it is a bit unnerving to see a rock pile come at you. It's the one you never saw before and are now suddenly praying you don't hit. yikes. Sometimes I think these polarized glasses are best at scaring me.

I'll be going up June 19 - 26 staying near Waydes Landing area on the south shore of Nip, if anyone is up there and back before then... let me know how bad / good it is. Water level and fishing...

Thanks.

I'll be going up June 19 - 26 staying near Waydes Landing area on the south shore of Nip, if anyone is up there and back before then... let me know how bad / good it is. Water level and fishing...

Thanks.

im back on the 5th so i can give you a heads up.

10point.. the water has gone up 2 INCHES on Lake Temagami since May 7th. I am told that it shouldn't be an issue launching at Manitou landing (end of Lake T access road) for you.

Thanks for the info.