Walleyes on Rice

Ron

After making the decision to pull the plug with a buddy of mine for Saturday opener, I told him I was going out regardless. My buddy had to drive from Toronto and didn't want to see him make the 1+ hour drive only to be turned down at the launch ramp because of the forecasted weather. I got on the water by 7 in AM, solo. It was pouring down rain even before I got the boat launched. Glad I went though, first spot let me boat 3 nice walleyes one pushing the mark at 22". As someone else moved in to the area I was fishing, I moved off and went to check another spot. Just as soon as I went to start up the main motor, my brand new HDS5 went for a crap-blank screen.... Odd I thought, turned it off, back on and the darn thing wouldn't boot up again.:angry:

I ended up taking the front fish finder off and put it on the console. I buzz down the lake to get to another spot, find the weeds, drop the trolling motor start my drift. Ended up boating several more walleye and then my friggen foot pedal went on the Minn Kota :angry: ! To top off the day I even blew up one of my spinning reels, rightly so though for the reel, had it for over 10yrs and was soon time to retire it anyways. The tally for Walleye for the day was 15 with the best at 23.5". Nice to see the population of Walleye out there, several year classes to boot.

Now, back to the fish finder, I call up Lowrance this morning and tell them my situation, no probs they say, they got one on the shelf to replace it with, just come on up and we will take care of it. "I'll set this one aside for you with your name on it" is what they say..... Well 2 hrs later I pull into the Lowrance service office, say "Hey, I just called in about 2 hrs ago for you to look at my HDS5". "Oh" he says, I just gave the HDS5 to a guy from Cobourg, the last one we had, I thought it was you.":angry: Now, I had to take a morning off work to get this taken care of so I would have a fish finder for this weekend, I didn't get mad, I just told them that "this wasn't good". Buddy says, no probs, goes out back and grabs me a HDS5 Lake Insight! Kewl!! So to the guys who took my HDS5 from Lowrance 20 mins before me, THANKS!

On my way home, I also had to stop off at the Minn Kota repair shop in Pickering to pick up a new foot pedal, the one I bought in Thunder Bay last August went for a crap (cost me 175.00 in T Bay). After a bit of a filtered try again please chat the guy cut me an awesome deal as I didn't have a receipt for it and on my merry ol way I went!

Sure, I was ticked off that these 3 things happened by hey, glad it happened at home as opposed on one of my trips! :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers, Ron...

Glad everything turned our for the good Ronnie.

Now to the eye's in rice that sure sounds like a dish at a Chinese restaurant and from my luck at them I think I will pass and BTW there are no fish in Rice Lake.

:rofl2:

Hey!

Don't you get your messages?

Ron,

Don't want to turn this into a Lowrance HDS thread as I have already read a few on here. But....was it just the water that made it crap out? I have one and have it on my consul. I will keep it covered with a large zip-lok bag if I am out in the rain. Will that keep it alright? I'm 3-4 hrs away from any Lowrance service centre so it would be a long drive for me.

Sounds like you had a real mixed bag Ron. Some GREAT fishing, some failed gear, but then a happy ending to everything.

I've also been into Lowrance on Matheson a couple times and was always treated like the most important guy they'd seen all week....excellent customer service !!

Never knew MinnKota had a repair shop in Pickering, where bouts exactly are they ?? It'll sure be alot closer than Aikmens if I ever need anything.

Am/was going to buy a HDS5 this year but I think I will wait a bit. Have heard from a few people now about them fogging up or crapping out in heavy rain. I hope this is just a fluke cause I want one bad. But I live 4 hrs from a service depot as well and cant justify spending 600 bucks if I have to put a zip-lock bag over it if it rains :(

Sounds like you had a real mixed bag Ron. Some GREAT fishing, some failed gear, but then a happy ending to everything.

I've also been into Lowrance on Matheson a couple times and was always treated like the most important guy they'd seen all week....excellent customer service !!

Never knew MinnKota had a repair shop in Pickering, where bouts exactly are they ?? It'll sure be alot closer than Aikmens if I ever need anything.

Hey ya go Lew,

Super nice guy Grant is:

boat tech

1058 copperstone drive

unit 2

pickering

, ON

L1W 3V8

Phone: 905-686-5008

Fax: 905-686-5009

[email protected]

Easy to get to as well.

Brock Rd. South. (Pass Tight Lines tackle).

2nd set of lights turn left (Dillingham/Clements).

Cross the tracks, 2 rd on left (Copperstone Dr.)follow to the end, you will end up in his parking lot around back of building.

Google map

Edited by Ron