Moose Ribs

anders

Alright everybody....seeing how there are many fine chefs on this site...does anybody have a recipe for moose ribs that they dont mind sharing. In thanking the crew that will be helping me with flooring this weekend and foundation work I want to cook up some moose ribs that I got in the freezer.

Any ideas? I dont really want to BBQ them, but if i have to i will.

thanks

If you have moose ribs,then you probably have moose steak & roast in your freezer too.Do yourself & your friends a favour,cook the steak or roast.I have tried moose ribs,ever since they go out to the landfill with the hide & bones.I have sampled others efforts at moose ribs & found them inedible as well.TOUGH.

There maybe others on here with better results,but that is MHO.

I do have the steak, but we kept them to try...i know they can be tough, but in a slow cooker, that should make them tender. As for recipies, i am :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

We did some ribs recently by pouring water and jack daniels bbq sauce into the pot in with the ribs. Given the toughness, lowest heat and cook them all day. I don't have any fancy home made recipe.

I've never had moose ribs but in a slow cooker, anything tastes good.

Ribs,

tomato sauce (herb and garlic) 750ml

rib spice packet

salt pepper

cook for 6 hours...

Mix ingredients in bowl

put some mixture in bottom of cooker

place a few ribs (thaw first)

more mix

more ribs

more mix

more ribs

mix every few hours..

get some garlic bread and beers..

Im sure it will be good after a hard days work

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

that's just for ribs in general anders. never tried it with moose ribs, but it's worked in a pinch for slow cooker ribs. i can't see it not working for moose provided that you used strong flavoured bbq sauce and cooked them for as many hours as possible on low heat. you know us slcc guys can do anything with a slowcooker. :whistling:

Never done any wild meat on the smoker but.....

What do they look like? Are they super lean, or do they have fat mixed in the meat?

I would probably do them as beef ribs.

One of the most important steps to good ribs is removing the membrane on the inside of the ribs. This is the tough membrane that separates the abdominal cavity from the ribs. Work a knife under it and pull it off while gripping with a paper towel.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/beefrib1.html

If you don't have a smoker you could use a gas grill, just cook indirect for a long time, foiling quickens the cooking process as well...

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

Here's a VERY SIMPLE method we use for pork ribs that should work with Marty Moose...

3/4 pot of water

Pinch of Kosher Salt

1 or 2 onions cut in half

3 - 6 stalks of celery

Ribs...cut into individual ribs (best to always follow one side of the bone....so like always cut on the right side of the bone that way the rib meat is on the left side of the bone as will the next rib and so on.

Put everything in the pot and bring to a boil..Boil for 45 minutes and take out ribs and drain...when ready cover ribs with your favorite BBQ sauce and cook on grill...ENJOY...this is a VERY GOOD recipe for pork or beef ribs so I can't see it not working for Marty Moose Ribs.

If you haven't seen these guys on the foodnetwork, you really are missing something.

The wild Chef from Montreal did an episode on Moose hunting and cooking.

One recipe was for ribs.

Moose Spareribs

Did you keep the testicles?

The Wild Chef did Moose Testicles as well..... looks fantastic :sarcasm:

Ingredients

4 Moose Testicles/Oysters

10 shaggy mane mushrooms (or other type)

2 French grey shallots, minced

1/4 cup honey

1/4 cup sherry

4/5 cup stag or moose stock

4/5 cup 35% M.F. cream

25 grams butter

Chives

Pepper

Directions

1.Boil testicles in water for several minutes. Remove the membrane from around the testicles, cut in half and flour.

2.In a pan, brown the testicles in butter. Remove from pan, set aside and keep warm.

3.In the same pan, cook the mushrooms and then completely soften the shallots.

4.Add honey and deglaze with sherry. Add stag or moose stock and reduce. Pour in cream and reduce again until it mixture becomes creamy.

5.Place the testicles in the sauce. Add chives and pepper.

Yummmmmm.... testicles in a cream sauce.... :whistling:

Burt :)

Yummmmmm.... testicles in a cream sauce.... :whistling:

Funny. Don't usually hear guys rhapsodizing about the size of the moose nuts they harvested. I wonder why? They sound yummy.

JF

As i used to be a butcher for 10 year and cut up allot of moose in the north her is a big secret for any that are interested in it,the membrane that separates the meat from the guts if you will, should never be taken from a wild animal that was shot, If the stomach was damaged at any time that membrane kept the acid from entering the meat, it may sower the meat and make you sick.

On a other note if you want to cook them

This is what i do wit them after i removed the inner membrane i boil the ribs till cooked,in the oven or stove top

place on a rack ad coat with sauce home maid or bought

place in the oven for 15-20 min at 350

cut and serve

enjoy BBQ- Sauce 1/2 large onion,4 cloves garlic,2 cup ketchup,1/3 cup vinegar,1/4 cup Worcester sauce,1/2 cup brown sugar,3/4 cup molasses

1/2 tsp pepper,1/2 tbsp salt, 1/4 cup tomato paste,1/2 tsp Tabasco, and most of all Jack Daniels to taste

mix in a pot simmer 30 min let stand 1 hr. Add molasses last to taste to much will over power it. I add 1/4 cup at a time

Here is one...never tried it with moose, but it is awesome with pork..

mix a can of ginger ale with half a bottle of Diana's Rib BBQ Sauce.

Layer bottom of roasting pan with sliced oigions

put ribs in pan, pour mixture over.

Cover with foil/lid, then cook in oven for 3 hours, at 300.

Let cool, then bbq ribs..mix rest of bbq sauce with maple syrup, and apply.

The meat falls off the bone, and the bbq sauce/maple syrup is simply awesome..

I'm not sure if moose ribs are tougher than beef or pork but I'm sure any rib recipe will work.

I think that boiling loses a little bit of flavour, so I would boil for 20-30 mins and then marinade over night...make sure you give a good squeeze of a lemon or two or some oj or red wine, the acidity will help to break down the tissue and tenderize....then throw them on the bbq or broil in oven