changing oil

zman

I have a 9.9 2000 evinrude 4 stroke and I need to change the oil and oil filter I can't see the drain to drain the oil or even how I would go about doing it , does anyone know where to get the filters?

Edited by zman

Guest gbfisher

It may be a small screw on the side of the body of the motor case, just below the level of the motor inside, you don't have the manual.

You may need an oil extractor. Looks like this but there are many different types.

http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=oil+extractor&_armrs=1&_dmd=2&_from=&_ipg=

there are videos on youtube to watch if you like...

Edited by gbfisher

Guest gbfisher

Also does anyone know where to get oil filters for this , I have usually taken this to someone else to do but I think its tiome for me to learn myself

Klaus Marine Inc. or any Johnson Evenrude dealer.

You may need an oil extractor. Looks like this but there are many different types.

http://shop.ebay.ca/i.html?_nkw=oil+extractor&_armrs=1&_dmd=2&_from=&_ipg=

there are videos on youtube to watch if you like...

Canadian Tire do something similar - comes with a tube to fit down a dipstick tube as well, although I had to put a straightened wire coat hanger in the tube get it to go straight down into the engine, thne withdrew it leaving the tube in place.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoSafetySecurity/GasCans/PRD~0283009P/Deluxe%252BPump.jsp?locale=en

I have a 9.9 2000 evinrude 4 stroke and I need to change the oil and oil filter I can't see the drain to drain the oil or even how I would go about doing it ,

Go no further dude...

Take it to someone who knows how ....watch and learn from them this time around.. :Gonefishing:

I have a 9.9 2000 evinrude 4 stroke and I need to change the oil and oil filter I can't see the drain to drain the oil or even how I would go about doing it , does anyone know where to get the filters?

This site may help you www.crowleymarine.com sorry you will have to copy and past it

Your 2000 9.9 Evinrude is actually manufactured by Suzuki. OMC had Suzuki start making their four strokes as well as some oil injected two strokes around 1998. When OMC went broke, Bombardier bought them out and they became BRP. Bombardier Recreational Products. Suzuki continues to manufacture many outboards with the BRP logo.

This link to a Suzuki Parts catalogue with help your cause. http://store.brownspoint.com/pdf/DF9.9_15(04-09).pdf

The oil drain plug is listed on page #5 part 6 engine oil regulator. As depicted it comes straight off the bottom of the engine block. It is neither visible or accessible without removing the side cover. Pg. 58 part 3

When standing at the rear of the engine facing forward you will need to remove the left side cover.

Any BRP, Suzuki or Johnson/Evinrude dealer will be able to locate a filter for you. I'm not sure if an an Automotive supply can cross reference it or if it is a dealer only item.

The filter and drain plug on my Suzuki dumb ass 25 were almost identical. They utilize a cardboard cartridge encased in a seperate metal housing. It is most important tha the gasket betweem the metal housing and the block in in proper position when replaced. If not the a serious oil leak can ocurr and can go unnoticed for some time.

When I had mine the only outboard with a spin on/automotive style filter were the Hondas. This may have changed.

Good luck, Roe Bag.

Edited by Roe Bag

Yes there is a small screw just like the one at the bottom near the lower end unit when I changed the oild for that last year. I will take the screw out tonight and see if the oil come out . Thanks everyone for all your help once again

Go no further dude...

Take it to someone who knows how ....watch and learn from them this time around.. :Gonefishing:

Sounds like you better take it to someone who knows. The two visible screws on the lower unit below the cavitation plate are for the gear case oil only. The bottom screw is the drain and fill and the top is a vent screw to allow air to escape when refilling the gear case.

This has nothing to do with the engine oil!

In order to access the engine oil drain you must remove the side cover as depicted in the diagrams in the catalogue I sent you. (pg. 58 part #3)

Only then will you see the drain plug for the engine oil!

If this is too difficult to follow then for your own sake leave it to a professional.

Guest gbfisher

Just buy a cheap pump like the one I showed you. They mechanics use the oil pump because it's easy. Just stick the small hose in the dip stick hole and remove the oil cap. Pump 5 to 6 times and yer done. (Doesnt sound right) It's really easy to do and will save you money. Did I mention it's easy??? The pump will run you about what...$45,,,It takes less than 5 mins to take the oil out.

The oil filter wrench will cost you about $15 and a litre or two of oil will be about $12 X 2= $24 or so.

It will only be cheap next time and you will learn a thing or two which is always good. :clapping:

Guest gbfisher

After reading all of this I glad I have a 2 stroke oil injected outboard... :worthy:

After years of inhaling 2 stroke fumes. I'll never go back.

Not to mention the how quiet they are.]

Did I say ..."it's easy" yet?.... :sarcasm:

After years of inhaling 2 stroke fumes. I'll never go back.

Not to mention the how quiet they are.]

The new two strokes are totally different animals. My 1973 25 Johnson smoked like a chimney and stunk too high heaven. Drank a tank of fuel in no time at all and wouldn't troll worth a darn!

I only smell my 06 25 Yamaha when trolling with the wind. In comparison it is barely noticeable. Unlike the Johnson it will troll all day witout fouling the plugs. Advancements in two stroke oil formulas as well as carburetion, ignition systems, and 100:1 mix have eliminated the "old days" stigma of two strokes. They idle almost as smoothly. They are almost as quiet. Fewer moving parts. Lighter. Less maintenace.

I owned a 2004 Suzuki dumb ass 25 four stroke for two years and went back to a two stroke. I've run them both on the same boat and the fuel savings of the four stroke was negligeable.

I'll never go back to a four stroke.

The new two strokes are totally different animals. My 1973 25 Johnson smoked like a chimney and stunk too high heaven. Drank a tank of fuel in no time at all and wouldn't troll worth a darn!

I only smell my 06 25 Yamaha when trolling with the wind. In comparison it is barely noticeable. Unlike the Johnson it will troll all day witout fouling the plugs. Advancements in two stroke oil formulas as well as carburetion, ignition systems, and 100:1 mix have eliminated the "old days" stigma of two strokes. They idle almost as smoothly. They are almost as quiet. Fewer moving parts. Lighter. Less maintenace.

I owned a 2004 Suzuki dumb ass 25 four stroke for two years and went back to a two stroke. I've run them both on the same boat and the fuel savings of the four stroke was negligeable.

I'll never go back to a four stroke.

I agree with many things you have said here...my 50 hp Johnson VRO idles and trolls down to nothing while it's sipping 150/1 oil. But the 4 strokes are quiter I will say that...gas consumption is very low for me and the power is unmatched by a 4 stroke...to trade into a 4 stroker would cost me at least 7K and that my man buys a LOT of expensive gasoline....

BTW I have never had to change the oil...expect the lower unit every year.

Guest gbfisher

I like your description. Only smell it trolling with the wind. :D

Almost as smooth , almost as quiet.

You've got that right.

I troll a fair amount and for a few different species(Yamaha 225)and it doesn't matter which way or how strong the wind is. The big engines with no fumes are as you say " totally different animals "

Hearing the lines go off with the boat closed up tight is hard enough for some. :blush:

I like your description. Only smell it trolling with the wind. :D

Almost as smooth , almost as quiet.

You've got that right.

I troll a fair amount and for a few different species(Yamaha 225)and it doesn't matter which way or how strong the wind is. The big engines with no fumes are as you say " totally different animals "

Hearing the lines go off with the boat closed up tight is hard enough for some. :blush:

Let's face it a Yamaha 225 and a Yamaha 25 are indeed "two different animals". I am only speaking from my experience with my smaller outboards. What's been said is based on that experience.

Guest gbfisher

Let's face it a Yamaha 225 and a Yamaha 25 are indeed "two different animals". I am only speaking from my experience with my smaller outboards. What's been said is based on that experience.

My 9.9 four stroke makes more noise than the 225 trolling. :blink: