Turkey DOWN !

richyb

Headed to the bush after work for a couple hours of hunting and found gold with 10 minutes till legal shooting hours was over. I was running and gunning through the property, walk 50 yards, call , listen and walk again. Nothin was goin on in the bush so I walked out to the field. When I got to the fields edge there was 3 hens standing about 20 yards out feeding in the grass ( with the wind i guess they couldnt hear me coming). They wandered out of the field so I took a couple steps out and noticed a ball of dust at the other end of the field. I walked up just inside the bush line to within 200 yards of the bird and set up and gave a couple calls. He walked right to me and I pulled the trigger at 30 yards. 19.4 pounds 8 1/2" beard and 1 1/8" spurs. I guess I will have lots of time to golf now.

gobblerrr.jpg

Both sons and a daughter have got a bird this year, Im hopeing Pop(me) will get one this weekend , going out with second daughter on fri and sat (if needed). Nice bird , if you have never tried it Turkey hunting is great fun ,get out there ,both daughters and wife enjoy it . Funny wife would never deer hunt with us , but bird hunting either, grouse , turkeys, pheasants , she loves it.great way to spend family time and the eating is good too .great bird with a nice tail , feathers i mean ,thats a joke son...

Last year i spent two serious sits in the bush not flinching a muscle and twice a tom walked right behind me until I had to come out at 7pm (6:59 for the sticklers)to chance a shot. Aint happening. Third time in I brought my figgity stir crazy son who couldn't stop whispering. Then he says "there's one" and I stood up and shot it. Ya all the books and experience in the world and this guy just walks in and shoots one :D .

Really nice bird there Rich. I'd be tempted to buy my second tag just to get more time in the bush behind the hammer. You got all summer to start golfing.