kids trout fishing

archer379

Some of you may know there is a trout derbie this weekend for kids in peterborough I ha?e always had to work and haven't been able to go and don't really know how to fish for trout with a bobber could someone give me an idea for bait and such

Some of you may know there is a trout derbie this weekend for kids in peterborough I ha?e always had to work and haven't been able to go and don't really know how to fish for trout with a bobber could someone give me an idea for bait and such

if your fishing in a stocked pond ...try kernels of corn ...or small cubes of velvetta cheese or worms....good luck

Edited by Twocoda

if your fishing in a stocked pond ...try kernels of corn ...or small cubes of velvetta cheese or worms....good luck

The derby (Greenwing Festival) is located at the Trent canal below the liftlocks. Last week they dumped hundreds (probably thousands) of rainbows into the canal, including 10lb "Walter".

I hope you don't mind crowds, with the nice weather forecasted for tomorrow, it will be a zoo. Apparently, it's one of the largest such festivals in the world.

stocked pond fish seem to really like berkley trout bait.

this is one of my favorite baits,chartreuse is the best, this stuff is a paste and what you do is take a bit out of the jar and roll it in your hand into a tight ball then mold it to the hook. Berkley power eggs in chartreuse with a piece of corn also is deadly.The secret is to use small fine wire hooks #12 owners are my favorite and 1 or 2 small split shot, and small floats.I fish a stocked pond for the next week thats my trout opener hahahahah. This weekend actually marks the end of steelheading the tibs for me, except maybe the Niagara and Port Dalhousie, I stay away from the Northern Trib zoo this weekend, getting to old for that party lol

Hi archer379,

I use to fish at glen haffy trout ponds as a kid.

My keys to success were: 6lb or 4lb line stren mono in those days, probably fluorocarbon would be better now.

Thin long Shy Bite Thill bobber with 2 or 3 tiny round lead press on sinkers spaced out evenly. Usually 2-3 feet of line between bobber and hook. Experiment with depth.

Corn was good but came off easy, so i switched to Berkley power eggs yellow. Those were firmer and stayed on longer

I used a sharpened size 14 round gold egg hook (same size as the power egg, edit: sometimes sz 12 hook), clip one side of egg then turned the hook around and embedded it into the other side of the power egg. I liked to leave a tiny bit of the hook point exposed.

You could also use two power eggs by sliding the first power egg up the hook just beyond the hook eye and adding the second power egg.

Edited by Syn