carp with bleeding gills

chessy

I've seen many carp with bleeding gills. Then again, I expect the arrow may have had something to do with it.

Bleeding gills, face, tail, bleeding all over the place.

Can't wait to get out carp shooting! Blood and Gore :thumbsup_anim:

When stressed, carp release blood from their gills.

Say word ? are you serious. That would seem counter productive, cause wouldn't that form a chumline for parasites and larger pelagic fish (if its a baby carp)

It could have been a disease, it could have been damage from being caught. Carp are prone to bleeding from the gills. I have seen it happen just from their being caught even though they were lip hooked. I have seen male carp bleed from the gills after chasing a female carp during the spawn.

What Dozer said. Carp take in oxygen through their gills and the barrier between their blood and the water is only one cell thick. When stressed or excited they suffer the equivalent of a nose bleed in the gills. It's not that uncommon to see this in a fish as you land it and it quickly stops in my experience.

I work with carp, I nearly crapped myself when a 2000 dollar koi I was bagging all of a sudden turned the water in the bag blood red, beleive me, it was a very awkward situation for me approaching my boss telling him I think I hurt a fish, only to learn they do it when the stress. :unsure:

I work with carp, I nearly crapped myself when a 2000 dollar koi I was bagging all of a sudden turned the water in the bag blood red, beleive me, it was a very awkward situation for me approaching my boss telling him I think I hurt a fish, only to learn they do it when the stress. :unsure:

Wow! I'm sure it was more stressful for you than for the koi, Dozer. And it sounds like you have a great job, getting paid to work with carp. I'm jealous.