Through Hull installation

HTHM

I am wondering if I do a through hull installation of my transducer on a 580 Hummingbird, in a Ranger 370V, will I still get accurate water temperature readings?

As i understand it all ineed to do is get some wet resin and push the 'ducer into it to install it. Correct?

The resin works fine till you swap out the old unit for a new one. A few years ago I replaced my fishfinder and it took me half a day to get the old transducer out because it was glued in with epoxy resin. When I installed the new one I used siliconed it in and it has worked flawlessly. Just remember you can't have any air bubbles in the silicone or it will screw up your readings. I just put a 1/2 inch of silicone on the bottom of the transducer then put it in place. Push down the transducer about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch till silicone squeezes out the around the edge of the transducer and let it set up for 24 hours. Still gets water temp readings and if you ever have to remove your transducer for any reason a good pull on it will break it free.

If epoxied into your hull you will be getting hull temp which after some time on the water will be pretty close to the water temp. You will be lacking the quick response of an external water temp sensor however. You can get a external temp sensor for your boat: TG W - Temperature Sensor that works with the 580. it will be from $20-30 and can be hook up with the "Y" cable.

If epoxied into your hull you will be getting hull temp which after some time on the water will be pretty close to the water temp. You will be lacking the quick response of an external water temp sensor however. You can get a external temp sensor for your boat: TG W - Temperature Sensor that works with the 580. it will be from $20-30 and can be hook up with the "Y" cable.

If I have a temp sensor on the Bow mount it should give me the temp info I need as i am fishing, I suppose. The 580 is going to be at the helm, while the 525 will be at the bow.

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking, all of you. However the silicone idea is worth thinking about.....

The question I forgot to ask was, Will it work on a ranger hull to do a throgh hull install. As I understand it, on a chopped layup, the transducer will not work, while on a handlayed hull it will. Is this true?

Rangers are a chopped layup proccess when built, correct?

Edited by HTHM

If you want to test it you can tape the transducer on the hull location and then put enough water in the bottom to submerge the face of it. The signal you get will be equal to the one if it was bonded in place.

Art