Question about Dunville Kitties...

The JAY

I know I'm new here, and I'm not looking for anyone to give up a hot spot, but does anyone think/know if it's worthwhile trying to catch catfish off of shore in Dunnville? I haven't found a boat yet, and I would love to get in on the derby, but can you get them from shore? Thanks!

I know I'm new here, and I'm not looking for anyone to give up a hot spot, but does anyone think/know if it's worthwhile trying to catch catfish off of shore in Dunnville? I haven't found a boat yet, and I would love to get in on the derby, but can you get them from shore? Thanks!

Not only can you get them from shore, but Steve (Fishmaster) will give you good advice on how to fish for them as well. When y'all hook into a big kittie, it is a LOT of fun.

Don't eat them over 7 pounds though....

Yeah, a trip to the tackle shop is in my future. Never heard of circle hooks, and I don't have anything close to 3oz in a sinker, but that will soon be fixed. I'm also guessing my 10Lb Spiderwire mono won't cut it for these beasts... On the positive, I found a guy in Oakville that's giving away a 14' fibreglass, he's sending pics tomorrow, so I may soon be floating! thumbsup_anim.gif

I am using 50lb Powerpro on one reel, 17lb Trilene XT on the other. I like the Powerpro better as it casts a bit farther than the Trilene. So far, both lines have held up very well. You can get away with less than 3oz sinkers on the calm days, but if the wind is up or the current really flowing, the 3oz is good. If you are going to Steve's (Fishmaster's), he has all the hooks, beads, swivels and weights for sale at competetive prices, and even better, sells pre-made cat rigs. Just tie on and ready to go. Don't forget the cut bait! :)

As for port maitland i didn't think taht area wouldbe fishable for cats since most would have swam up stream.

the distance from maitland to the dam isnt very far, they are spread threw out the river and dont stay in the same spots all the time, which is why moving frequently catches more fish.