Question For Piranha Owners

dsn

For all those folks of own Piranha's in a aquarium. I was wonder do these fish jump? I know I should always have canopy on a tank but was wondering if I can get by without it with a piranha. I have never see a piranha jump out of the water before.

Just curious.

And how long have you had piranhas as pets? Cause I get bored with fish so easily and move onto something else.

dsn

they do jump, it's always good to have a canopy anyways to prevent splatter from the filters.

as for how long, i have mine for a little over 7 yrs now...

Oh, ok great.

Thanks for the info "spinnerdoc."

dsn

And how long have you had piranhas as pets? Cause I get bored with fish so easily and move onto something else.

dsn

I don't have any personal experience with piranhas, but my friend had several. They are a very interesting fish, especially at feeding time. But as Spinnerdoc mentioned, their lifespan is by any means not short.

If you find yourself getting bored with fish that quick, maybe the best route for you would be some goldfish or guppies....lol

Maybe give them a test hold your face over the water and stick out your tongue and wiggle it just above the surface , see if they jump ... how you been dsn , been around the bay yet for carp this year ? me and my son were getting browns off the rocks 3 weeks ago but have not been out since .

yes they do jump. its more from being startled in the tank than just jumping. I lost a really nice black pirahna as it knocked the canopy off and ended up on the floor sometime in the middle of the night. Don't know if you've already bought but if your haven't try and find peacock bass. I used to tanks and went through all the cichlids, snakeheads, oscars,....

By far the most enjoyable fish I ever had for activity, color and mixing with other fish were peacock bass. I bought them in mississauga from Dragon aquarium - Chinese mall on Dundas. They also have an incredible arrowana selection

yes they do jump. its more from being startled in the tank than just jumping. I lost a really nice black pirahna as it knocked the canopy off and ended up on the floor sometime in the middle of the night. Don't know if you've already bought but if your haven't try and find peacock bass. I used to tanks and went through all the cichlids, snakeheads, oscars,....

By far the most enjoyable fish I ever had for activity, color and mixing with other fish were peacock bass. I bought them in mississauga from Dragon aquarium - Chinese mall on Dundas. They also have an incredible arrowana selection

Sounds like you have done all that I have gone through trying to find something to stick to. I have seen Peacock bass only once. But are the real peacock bass from the amazon?

dsn

Yes they jump .. haven't had on jump out of the tank but have had them knock themselves out from hitting the plexi on top of the tank

here is a link for ya if your looking for more info on Piranhas PIRANHA FURY

Ok Thanks.

So they jump. I have never had that before when I had them many years ago. But its better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks

Dsn

I don't have any personal experience with piranhas, but my friend had several. They are a very interesting fish, especially at feeding time. But as Spinnerdoc mentioned, their lifespan is by any means not short.

If you find yourself getting bored with fish that quick, maybe the best route for you would be some goldfish or guppies....lol

Guppies.....w00t.gif. I watching them now and trying to figure out why they aren't what they used to be. The tails aren't growing long. Rather their bodies are out growing their tails. I thought their tails were supposed to be growing longer. But I guess its taking too long.

Onto the 4 batch already, running 3 tanks. And still nothing impressive yet.

Dsn "getting Bored"blink.gif

Piranha are not the most exciting fish to keep (assuming you are looking at RBP). They are fairly skittish and not very interactive.

If you bore easily, you may want to look into Central American cichlids, such as red devil / midas, vieja, or an oscar. They are very interactive. Also flowerhorns if you like them. All these need a 75gal to house a single fish.

Unless you have a large tank (180gal+) do not get peacock bass as they grow very large.

What size tank do you have?

Burt :)

Piranha are not the most exciting fish to keep (assuming you are looking at RBP). They are fairly skittish and not very interactive.

If you bore easily, you may want to look into Central American cichlids, such as red devil / midas, vieja, or an oscar. They are very interactive. Also flowerhorns if you like them. All these need a 75gal to house a single fish.

Unless you have a large tank (180gal+) do not get peacock bass as they grow very large.

What size tank do you have?

Burt :)

I have guppies right now in (1) 20gallon,(2) 10 gallons and 5 gallon with an african clawed frog.whistling.gif Guppies in all tanks from different stages of life and batches.

dsn

I had my Piranha for 10 yrs! Yes they will jump form the tank. Any tank should be covered anyway, so that you don't have the water evaporating so fast. They are not really very exciting except at feeding time and even then they may choose to eat when your not looking..LOL.

I personally enjoyed having Betas as pets (you can only have 1 in a tank tho).They don't need a big tank and they are every bit as interested in you as you are in them!

Good Luck!

Edited by Jewelbee