danbouck

29 members have voted

1. 1. Where

• Algonquin
    • Lake Superior Provincial PArk
    • Restoule
    • Killarney
    • Other, please specify

I'm looking for a place to go camping this year for 5-7 days. I will not have my boat :( unless I find a cheap tinny to throw on the tent trailer. I need somewhere where there is a lot of hiking and biking trails and it needs to be good for the kids. Shore fishing would be a huge bonus. and scenery and wildlife must be great.

I am already booked for Temagami and a few somewhat local places.

Let me know where you would go. I'm thinking Early August.

Thanks in Advance

Dan

Edit: Added Other

Edited by Dan Bouck

None of the above.

If you have access to a boat I can help you out.

It will be too hard with the boat. 2 kids and 2 dogs and my wife packs like we're never coming home.

When Dan?

3rd week of July

Bon Echo has always been my favorite park.

There's some nice hiking trails, great beaches and Mazinaw Lake offers lots of shore fishing and fairly reasonable boat rental rates from Smart's Marina if you're happy with a small tinny just to get off the shore.

Okay then Algonquin Park.

Very specifically Achray in the S/E corner of the park (access #22 on the Algonquin map).

The campsite at Grand Lake is spectacular. Very lightly used, full services, amazing sandy beaches for the kids. I can't say enough about it.

In addition the eastern pines backpackpacking trail (it's a small loop) is right there and is great.

It's either an easy hike or a relatively short paddle from the campsite over to the high falls area of the Barron river.

It's an absolutely remarkable 100% safe natural water slide that you'd defintely have to check out.

Grand lake allows small boats and motors as well if you can scrounge up a cartopper.

(And fishing is decent as well. :) )

I'll try to keep it under $9 a can for you! Your wife can drink for free...

Better start stocking up now lol

Bon Echo has always been my favorite park.

There's some nice hiking trails, great beaches and Mazinaw Lake offers lots of shore fishing and fairly reasonable boat rental rates from Smart's Marina if you're happy with a small tinny just to get off the shore.

Thanks, I'll check it out

Okay then Algonquin Park.

Very specifically Achray in the S/E corner of the park (access #22 on the Algonquin map).

The campsite at Grand Lake is spectacular. Very lightly used, full services, amazing sandy beaches for the kids. I can't say enough about it.

In addition the eastern pines backpackpacking trail (it's a small loop) is right there and is great.

It's either an easy hike or a relatively short paddle from the campsite over to the high falls area of the Barron river.

It's an absolutely remarkable 100% safe natural water slide that you'd defintely have to check out.

Grand lake allows small boats and motors as well if you can scrounge up a cartopper.

(And fishing is decent as well. :) )

Thanks Solo, I'm going through there this week so I'll see if I can get in to check it out

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i grew up camping at agawa bay in lspp. it was a great spot although there's no mountain biking permitted in the park. there's lots of hiking trails throughout the park although the terrain on most of them would be a bit much for the kids. also, with the exception of 2 or 3 stocked lakes on the highway, there's not a ton of shore fishing. unless your kids are very good at entertaining themselves and don't mind swimming in water that is fairly cold, i wouldn't advise you take your kids to lspp.

lspp is much more an interior park

Always liked Grundy Lake .. decent fishing, swimming, biking, not much in the way of hikes but there are 2 short ones

If you have never been to Algonquin that would be the spot to bring the kids .. wildlife everywhere (seen 3 bears up close last year + deer, beaver, moose, fox, loons , turtles, ect) .. lots of hiking, canoeing ,biking trails and a kids program every morning at the visitor center which is nice on those wet days (even though its not going to rain while your there :whistling: ). I dont think they do it in July but if you get a chance to do the wolf howl do it .. loggers day is in July .. if you are there when its on go,its worth it

Depending on the age of your kids, Presquille Park in Brighton is a great place as well. Lots of bilking trails, lots of nature walks, lots of wildlife. Deer, fox, muskrat, raccoons, skunks, mice, frogs, snakes, Barred Owls, to name a few. These are the ones that came to visit our campsite.

Well I am a big promoter of Restoule. I have been camping and fishing there for 20 years now.The location of the park helps ease the pressure the lakes and park receive,it seems the farther off highway 11 you are the less busy the park is.It has all you asking for,good fishing,beaches,hiking and biking trails.Lots of wildlife,bears,deer,fox,and moose. A boat is not a must but does make things easier. There are several options for shore fishing right in the park and several others on lakes in the area only a few minutes away. You could rent a boat very reasonably from one of the resorts or better bring along a small outboard and just rent the boat for much cheaper,they also offer canoes.Several of the lakes are all surrounded by either the park itself or crown land very few cottages on some of them. Fishing is very good,walleye,bass,musky,pike,lakers and whitefish.Some of the smaller area lakes receive almost no pressure.If you want more info just ask.

I love Lake Superior Provincial Park but Solo's brings up a good idea in Achray on the east side of Algonquin.

I visited that end of the park last year and despite the rain and almost being capsized on the way back across Grand Lake. I absolutely loved it.

The High falls area is a blast for kids, in fact a kids camp was there the same day we were and the kids loved every minute of it. Not to mention the Barron Canyon is a true marvel.

Can't wait to head back one day soon.

I voted for restoule. I discovered the park last year and loved it. I have already booked a site this Summer Aug 7-16 - one of the sites along the water. Trails are good, park was not overcrowded, saw some deer and fishing was decent - had a large musky come up and rip off a walleye i had over the side of the boat for lunch. You mentioned access to a small tinnie, my neighbor at the park last summer had one and took it out on the river. He and his son did quite well with the bass. If anyone is up there this summer the same week I'm there, stop by and say hello - I'm driving a black Jeep Grand Cherokee and the boat is an older 16' Cadorette bowrider w/ a 90 hp Evinrude.

In the end it doesn't matter where you go as long as you go and get the kids out - depending on their age, they will not be too concerned with the amenities of the park -sometimes as adults, we over analyse these things - I know my kids didn't care too much of what a park had to offer - they were just happy being outdoors, swimming, fishing and playing where ever. Cheers and have a great summer. Remo

Dan you need to go to Samuel de Champlain provincial Park 30 mins east of Northbay 10 mins from Mattawa Ontario.

I may return with my boy.Just like you can't bring the boat because I prefer the comfort of the tent trailer.The lake is 9.9hp or less/

I will bring the canoe/Fishing is great from shore ,trout and walleye lots of pike and bass.You can float down the river on an inner tube lots of fun.Its on the Prov parks website.MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike

With Kids - Restoule, Bon Echo or Algonquin. Restoule is quieter ane more off the beaten track. Caught a 4 fooot pike there last year in about a foot of water early one morning. I think you might even be able to rent a tinny from some of the local service providers - I know there were lots of cabin / cottage rentals with boats for rent and a marine right on Restoule lake. I took the kids there last year and they loved it. Great beach, swimming, biking and walking trails. I have taken them to Algonguin - they liked it, but you have to drive lots to do any of the trails and such, we liked Cannisbay; Superior - loved it, but not reallly a lake for swimming unless you are part polar bear- the trout streams are awesome for hiking and the Sand River trail is amazing. Bon Echo is right up there with Restoule. The group camping lake has some nice bass in it, as does Joe Perry lake. The hardwood hills campground offer privacy and lots of bike riding opportunities. Each of these campgrounds have great nature centers and organised outings for the whole family (or all but the fisher :whistling: ) Bon Echo and Algonguin tend to book up fast. We still have to do Killarney. If you want to go a little further Obatonga has trophy pike - but you will need at least a canoe. Mississaugi (Elliot Lake) is also cool. Not as much as A or BE or even R, but trout streams, pike and bass in the area, trails and some hikes and biking opportunities.

Achray is awesome. high falls is a lot of fun. fishing is par on grand and u can use a 9.9motor. boat to the end of grand, portage into greenleaf (longest portage in the park) and your in heaven. theres an amazing campsite with a 15ft cliff perfect for jumping off and the scenery is amazing!! theres a few places on the lake with HUGE smallies! i mean 5lb average!!!! no joke. ive never seen anything like it. and they are the hungriest fish on the face of the earth.

Everyone here has posts places ive been to and enjoyed as well.In that the one plce for last minute and nice as well is martin river prov park.We headed out and ventured there not knowing.They were veiwing the stars that wekend with high powered scopes.A great treat for all of us.A small beach, fishing was ok,and they staff and neighbouring campers were very friendly.Same as finlayson point in temagami.Bon echo I will never forget.Algonquin always great no matter what time of year.Bruce park in tobemory is really good,make sure you camp in the family area if your kids are coming.My biggest pickerel was caught there from shore.Lots of nice trails and scenery over looking the lake at the end of the trail.

Thanks again for all the replies. I ended up checking out a few spots yesterday and today while up north working :whistling:.

Algonquin is pretty much completely booked for the summer but I stopped in Restoule today and found a perfect site on the water with everything we wanted (including 5 deer) and it was open for a week in August so I just booked it.

I still want to book one more trip in September so I'll be checking a few others that some of you posted.

Thanks again :good: