Portable Fish Finder Reccomendations?

Sudzy

Looking for a portable fish finder for this upcoming season. Any recommendations on what unit to pick up / where to get it? Might be fishing some deeper waters for lakers - so something with decent range would be best.

Thanks!

Sudz

I like radioworld: http://radioworld.ca...t=&filter_id=37

You can also get one from Bass pro, Lebarons, Canadian tire (likely overpriced), and may other fishing stores.

I got a Eagle 245Ds Portable and some rechargeable AA batteries. I use it 80% of the time in 30ft or less just for finding structure and checking depth, not much for "fish plotting" which I find is so inaccurate especially with weeds suspended at different depths. Ity does an awesome job at plotting the bottom and telling me if the bottom is hard or soft.

Can't really complain much about the unit. I like having 2 different beams. From what I experienced it does pick fish up in deeper water well eg 70+ft in open water. You get what you pay for and mine certainly is not anywhere near top of the line but for me its just right.

Edited by Syn

I was looking at the hummingbird 570.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/FishFinders/PRD~0793906P/Humminbird%252B570%252BPortable%252BFish%252BFinder.jsp

Not necessarily at Canadian Tire, I think I saw it at Bass pro for under $200. Anyone use that model?

It's a great unit i picked one up from another OFC member justa few weeks back.

You will like it as it's user friendly

I was looking at the hummingbird 570.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Marine/FishFinders/PRD~0793906P/Humminbird%252B570%252BPortable%252BFish%252BFinder.jsp

Not necessarily at Canadian Tire, I think I saw it at Bass pro for under $200. Anyone use that model?

I just picked up the 570 from Bass Pro and paid $219 +tx during their Spring sale, mind you it's not the portable version. I've only used it on one outing (waiting for engine parts for outing number 2 ... ) and it is my first fish finder so feel free to take this review with some healthy skepticism, but in my opinion it performed really well.

Screen clarity and readability on a very bright, sunny day was exceptional, readings on the bottom composition (ie: soft vs hard) seemed bang-on with what I knew about the area, battery consumption was minimal, depth accuracy even at full speed was great, and the built in alarm capabilities were fun to play with.

My only issue was that it seemed very sensitive to changes in the direction/speed of the boat. It seemed like "fish" would appear particularly frequently after a change in direction or speed, but I suppose that could be related to my positioning of the transducer. More than likely I just need more time with it to know what readings are to be trusted and what can trigger false-positives, so I'm willing to blame the user on that one. :rolleyes:

Good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Thanks for the reviews guys.

Thats what I saw it for $219 at bass pro on sale. Not sure what the regular price is.

It looked like a solid unit, I like the pack design as it would be nice to take ice fishing as well.

Cannuckjack - Does the transducer just suction to the side of the boat? I'm complety new to fishfinders.

Edited by Sudzy

I have the Humminbird 343C with the portable case and use it for ice fishing and on the boat. No complaints.

As for the suction cup it comes with, I found it doesn't always stay on so I purchased one of these: Transducer Clamp

It makes things much easier, especially by allowing you to tilt the transducer out of the water when you move.

Edited by Jet

I've been running a 565 for the past two years. Both for soft and hard water. I love the unit. I think I paid around $300 with the case any everything, but that wasn't on sale.

The transducer mounts on the transom of the boat with a suction cup, just under the water line. It's a bit of a pain in the arse though. If it's not in the exact right position, it rooster tails like crazy!, and it can pop off at high speeds.

The unit it's self works fabulous. I can mark a double uni knot at 40' no problem. Mark a small williams ice jig at 120'.

I would highly recomend this for your first fishfinder, as it's very easy to use. It doesn't have ALL the bells and whistles, but it's very easy to figure out.

Edited by F-is-H

Look at the eagle fishmark 320. was recently the best deal going. it's a good graph, we use it through the ice and on the bow of the boat. you can buy a portable kit for it or build one yourself for much le$$.

You know you can buy any unit and make it portable, right?

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31123

I have an Eagle 168 that I got for $60 (or around that price, new) 3 years ago. Got a motorcycle battery, stuck it in a milk crate, put a wooden lid on it and mounted the unit to the wood. The transducer is mounted to a stick that is then clamped on to the back of the boat. Save some money and D.I.Y.

Thanks guys, making you own does seem like a good idea.

But to be honest I would be willing to pay a little extra to just have it all ready to go.

I will probably be using it on various styles of boats. So need some pretty versatile.

If anyone knows of any place that has a good price on them, let me know, thanks!

Edited by Sudzy

ditto, I'm very happy with my 565 portable, I like the feature of being able to turn off the fish ID so you don't see silly fish cartoons all the time, the only down side, mine has a rechargable battery (that's a good thing) but it doesn't last for a full week if on a trip without hydro, I'm going to buy another battery for this season (I think about $40)so I'll have 2

I'm going to buy another battery for this season (I think about $40)so I'll have 2

look up a company called SAYAL Electronics for your battery. Prob only cost you $25 there rather then $49 at Can. Tire...

Edited by GBW

SAYAL Electronics is a retail store correct? I've been in there once I think, and they have tons of stuff.

Correct. I was just at one the other day to get some things and I saved a TON of $ compared to what I could have spent at Walmart or other stores like it. I spent $10.45 (after taxes) there for 2 items that would have cost me closer to $70 at Walmart (as I checked the prices there too).