OOS Pike Fishing at Harbourfront?

yakpiker

I think "hawk eyes" would be put to better use if he were taking pictures and calling MNR for person or persons who are blantantly doing something unlawful like showing up with buckets and filling them with OOS fish,throwing gernades into the water ect. IMO taking pics or calling anyone because YOU do not like the lure being used is spineless and uncalled for. even if someone is fishing for pike a day or 2 early i wouldnt care.

i have caught walleye using a top water frog. should i expect hawk eyes to take my picture and call the MNR because i should only use the frog for bass?

im also not against anyone who takes a pic of an OOS fish that was caught accidently. sorry but if i am fishing for pike in may and catch a 6 pound bass,you can bet your ass im taking a pic of it.

Thanks for the chuckle, Lunatic...your words say more than you realize.

Guest Johnny Bass

Its obvious these guys are targeting pike. And most of the fish they will catch will be pike also. Moving them off their beds. If they are going to protect spawning pike, they shouldn't be allowed to fish.

The thing is, I don't know why they prohibited fishing for pike in lake Ontario at all(for April). Its not like the population is in danger and hardly anyone eats them. Maybe the Marinas and businesses on the lake shore complained about the fishermen??

Its obvious these guys are targeting pike. And most of the fish they will catch will be pike also. Moving them off their beds. If they are going to protect spawning pike, they shouldn't be allowed to fish.

Exactly. Anybody who's familiar with that spot knows that pike are pretty much the only game fish you'd encounter here. Good thing most pike are in the shallows right now doing their thing...

I'll bet I know who's fishing there though. I've come across some yahoos who even boast that they'll keep pike, even if they're ripe with eggs.

Time for a little recon.

From what i've read on Northern Pike they don't nest to lay there eggs like a bass or a Walleye does. I watch them here every spring in one of my favorite Pike bays and they swim in the flooded shoreline and deposit there eggs in various places. The eggs have a sticky membrane on then that sticks to the first thing it makes contact with. Usually flooded brush in this particular bay. The males are not to far behind and they fertilize the eggs after she moves to another spot and the eggs are left unattended. They usually stay in the bay till they recover and not much else comes in there to have a snack of free eggs, like a Rock Bass or other Sunfish because they will be eaten. This bay in particular has three small creeks entering it in various places and in the spring these creeks attract large amounts of baitfish because of the warmer water running out of the creeks into the river. Once the season opens I hit these shallow bays and sight fish for them, but they are hard to catch when they are in post-spawn mode. They seem to not have a very good appetite. I have followed them around the bay and throw everything that a Pike would usually hit and sometimes nothing works, not even a nice live sucker is good enough some times. But throw them a dead sucker and they will usually take the offering.