Custom Rodbuilding

fish_fishburn

G'Day all. I am interested in trying my hand at rodbuilding. I want to build some rods for myself mostly, maybe a few for family and close friends. My question is where do you purchase blanks, components and supplies from? I have been searching the net and everything seems to be stateside. Is there any canadian company's out there? Any of the places I have found in canada, don't have catalogues or websites you can order from.

I can just imagine how much shipping costs from the states are if you order 7 ft blanks etc. If you do use companies stateside which ones do you use? Thanks.

Angling Specialties has a good selection of stuff and they do mail order I believe. You can get blanks from Lamiglas, St. Croix, Sage and Raven from them. The also have a few Hardy fly rod blanks left I believe.

You can also get stuff from John Collina out of Caledonia (JC Tackle)

One mail order company out west in BC is

http://www.rodbuildersupplies.com/

I’ve ordered from

- Mudhole in Florida (www.mudhole.com)

- Munich Rod Man (Mark Crouse – website is gone)

Shipping rod blanks over 36” long (multi pieced) is very expensive – USPS cannot handle them so you’re pretty much stuck with using UPS or FedEx. You can expect to pay 50%-70% of the cost of the blank just in shipping, customs and brokerage. Buy in Canada if you can. My $205 carp blank I ordered from West Virginia ended up being $26 worth in shipping + $94 in brokerage and over sized shipping fees. It was 6ft long broken down.

In the past, the G. Loomis plant used to be a good source of stuff. I used to buy components from the trunk of one of the reps who fished the Ganny – Loomis Canada is gone. Same with D&M when they went bust and had a fire sale on stuff.

I might be able to help with a blank for later builds although i don't know how much it would cost to ship within Ontario. I have a few dozen blanks here now, some i doubt will be built because a year only has 365 days. :D I brought back most of these in my rod case when i come back from vacations to get around the shipping fees. MLJ is right about shipping blanks from the US by courier. being hit by extra charges at the door is not a sure thing but don't be surprised if you get nailed pretty good for longer blanks.

G'Day all. I am interested in trying my hand at rodbuilding. I want to build some rods for myself mostly, maybe a few for family and close friends. My question is where do you purchase blanks, components and supplies from? I have been searching the net and everything seems to be stateside. Is there any canadian company's out there? Any of the places I have found in canada, don't have catalogues or websites you can order from.

I can just imagine how much shipping costs from the states are if you order 7 ft blanks etc. If you do use companies stateside which ones do you use? Thanks.

Fishing world here in hamilton did have g loomis blanks for sale at a decent price.Im going there on sunday if there open,Ill check to see if they still have them.