what documents to keep in boat?

Guest nuker

Guest nuker

i'm just getting things ready for the season. what documents do i need to keep in my boat?

so far i have:

pleasurecraft operator card

pleasurecraft license

copy of bill of sale (used boat)

i'm a bit of a boat newb. just got it last fall.

No requirement to have insurance on a boat hun... but I wouldn't go without it!

VHF radio operators licence if you have one installed. If they dont see you talking on it though.. not much they can do... until you're calling for help anyhow!

Good point Polliwogg. I generally leave my wallet on shore and only have my operators card and fishing licence with me... up until this fall when I heard they were asking for your drivers licence so I started carrying it. Not sure they can make that stick though.. as there is no requirement to have same in your possession when operating a boat, or fishing. I've personally never had the OPP or CO ask me for a drivers licence or photo ID.. and we've been pulled over beyond a dozen times in the last 2 years...and the last time was in Decemember.

Edited by irishfield

Guest nuker

is the boat registration the same as the pleasure craft license issued by transport canada? it has my name, boat description, etc...

i figured that if i were to be checked by law enforcement, they'd prefer i have directions to the closest tim hortons?

Also,

- Proof of Insurance

- Boat Registration

- Directions to closest beer store B)

I used to do the same as Wayne, with the wallet back in camp. Recent years though, I've started keeping it with me. I also keep a copy of our boat insurance and registration in the boat. Being from the states, while in Canada, I also keep a photocopy of our passport photos.

Nuker

The boat registration is for big boats that carry a name instead of license #. Generally much larger than most of us here would have. When the guys here talk about their boat registration what they are likely referring to is their license that the boat shows the #'s on the side for.