Beach Casting ?

splashhopper

Last weekend I saw a couple of guys beach casting at the mouth of the river I was fishing. I think they were going after rainbows and coho's.

I am thinking they were bombing their baits out a good 50-100 yards or so. :unsure:

Then setting their rods in tall rod holders. Presumably to keep as much of the line out of the water as possible. I also liked the idea of sitting in a lawn chair and catching a few rays that way too. :good:

My questions:

1) How long of a rod would I use? (I have an 11.5 medium action 2 piece now)

2) What type of reel would I use? (I have 2-3 spinning reels rated to use between 6 lb and 12 lb test line)

3) What type of line would I use?

4) How much extra weight would I put on the end of the line to assist in distance?

5) It looked like they were tossing some kind of weight and hook set up? Could I just use a modified pickeral rig with a heavier weight and remove the top hook and line?

6) They also seemed to be casting to the "back edge" of rollers coming on to shore? Is that where I should be trying to get the bait to?

Thanks for any help from Experience beach casters.

Edited by splashhopper

I try and use a 4000 series spinning reel as they hold a little more line just incase the fish goes for a long run, I use 1-2 oz sinkers the heavier the better to get your bait out there(try finding flat sinkers as they will not roll as much as the barrel sinkers.). Put the sinker on,then use a swiwel and then a fluorcarbon leader about 6-18 inches long,this way your bait will be off bottom 6-18 inches). Floating roe bags are the key in some of the places I have tried and early morning 6-9 is usually best.

I try and use a 4000 series spinning reel as they hold a little more line just incase the fish goes for a long run, I use 1-2 oz sinkers the heavier the better to get your bait out there(try finding flat sinkers as they will not roll as much as the barrel sinkers.). Put the sinker on,then use a swiwel and then a fluorcarbon leader about 6-18 inches long,this way your bait will be off bottom 6-18 inches). Floating roe bags are the key in some of the places I have tried and early morning 6-9 is usually best.

How far off shore do you try to get your bait out there? ie.. in the waves or out as far as I can toss it?

Do you wear waders and try to get out even further?

Thanks again

How far off shore do you try to get your bait out there? ie.. in the waves or out as far as I can toss it?

Do you wear waders and try to get out even further?

Thanks again

I usually try and cast it as far as I can, waders are not needed where I fish. I think when I cast out it is 8-10 feet deep where my bait lands. For me where I fish if there is a north wind it is alot easier to see the bites. When you see a bite I'd recommed picking up your rod and see if you can feel the fish on your line and if so, set the hook.

I usually try and cast it as far as I can, waders are not needed where I fish. I think when I cast out it is 8-10 feet deep where my bait lands. For me where I fish if there is a north wind it is alot easier to see the bites. When you see a bite I'd recommed picking up your rod and see if you can feel the fish on your line and if so, set the hook.

Is your bait sitting in the waves too then?

I use to fish like this alot,for sinkers we use 3/4-1oz egg sinkers and larger roe bags nickle size and bigger. Always use floaters in your roe bags, years ago we would break up styrofoam and use the small balls for floats but today you can buy actual floaters.3-5 floaters should be sufficient. Yes we cast out as far as we could, set the rod in the stand, sit back and keep a sharp eye out. We fished alot on the shale flats at Craigleath and had some real good days, it is a very relaxing way to fish and a change from the river drifting.

My rig is #10-#12 hook, 12-18" leader, small swivel,bead,egg sinker.When the fish grabs the roe bag the line slips through the egg sinker and the fish dosn't feel the weight.

Edited by canadadude

We use a 3 way swivel and a 1 oz egg sinker. Tie about 16-20 inches line to the hook from 1 of the swivels and the egg sinker on about 6 inches on the other. Yes make sure you use floaters in the roe bags but also we had more luck using a dew worm and worm blower.

mostly referred to as "plunking", canadadude has got it down. I get about as much excitement outta that as watching leaves change colour in the fall. :lol:

Though some days those guys are the only ones catching fish!

Sponge attractors, corkies and other buoyant materials also work well infront of the roe bag, rather than foam pcs in it. Fish key in on the scent rather than the sight and that's why it's a good method in dirty water. Don't chuck into the waves of the outflow but beside them instead. The fish cruise in and out of the river flow looking for food before they head upstream into the river.

I agree not the most exciting way to fish, good for drinking beers and barbecuing and just relaxing, especially after a long morning fighting crowds drifting with little success.Great way to spend an afternoon and you never know at times it can be a very hot bite.I like the idea of the brown snake with the blower

Edited by canadadude

I fish this way a lot. If the winds are calm we wont even bother going out. We like a good breeze, gets the baits moving a little, attracts the fish. I also have switched to using triangular style weights. They hold better in the current and in the waves, 1oz for light to medium winds and 2 oz for strong winds. Sometimes the best fishing is when winds are 50km/h+!!!! We also use roe, we spray our roe with crayfish scent, seems to do the trick, far more hook ups. If roe is not producing we use worms but we blow them up a little so they remain bouyant.

Set your drag loose, sometimes the fish hit hard. DOnt forget to tighten your drag when you set the hook. If your line goes slack but your rod tip isnt moving much, you have a fish, reel in the slack and yank!!!!

k

We use a 3 way swivel and a 1 oz egg sinker. Tie about 16-20 inches line to the hook from 1 of the swivels and the egg sinker on about 6 inches on the other. Yes make sure you use floaters in the roe bags but also we had more luck using a dew worm and worm blower.

I like using worms too... I also add a piece of coloured yarn at the head of the hook.. it's harder for the fish to get the yarn out of their teeth and adds some colour to help attract them ;)