Cut bait question .. can I use a fish not in the "live" bait section

brifishrgy

I would not use Sunfish for bait. Sunfish are not legal baitfish, dead or alive. Besides, you really don't want to waste a nice fish fry....would ya?

Personally, if a guy cleaned up a mess of sunfish and saved the heads to use on a circle hook for channel catfish bait, I would not have a problem with it. I would hope that any warden that caught a guy doing just that would let it slide and if it was technically illegal, just a warning to not do it again. To charge a guy in this instance the CO is just being an :asshat:

Personally, if a guy cleaned up a mess of sunfish and saved the heads to use on a circle hook for channel catfish bait, I would not have a problem with it. I would hope that any warden that caught a guy doing just that would let it slide and if it was technically illegal, just a warning to not do it again. To charge a guy in this instance the CO is just being an :asshat:

You could do that, but the heads don't work good, the cats want the meat.Why throw out a bait that don't work?

I really don't see why you are so keen to use sunfish for bait, when perfectly legal suckers are readily available...

You cannot use gamefish for bait. End of discussion. One CO may not fine you for perch eyes etc. but another very well could.

You keep saying "sunfish", which only refers to the family Centrarchidae. Guess what species are considered sunfish and fall within this family? Bass! If you are going to keep a bunch of pumpkinseeds for bait, why can't I head down to the local lake and bring home a limit of largemouth or smallmouth for bait?

I think this thread has served its purpose and you can give up the "but it says you can't use them alive! " argument, because it isn't gonna fly.

Edited by 4thgen

What 4thgen said!

That was the point I was trying to make - it ain't whether the bait is still kicking, it's what it is! When one exercises based on their own interpretation, one has only their own counsel to consider when one gets pinched. I hope it doesn't happen.

'Nuff said.

Michael

I think this thread has served its purpose and you can give up the "but it says you can't use them alive! " argument, because it isn't gonna fly.

thanks for your opinion but I am looking for the facts

here is the definition of organic bait

Organic bait – Natural bait comprised of live or dead organisms (animals or plants),

derivatives, or parts thereof. This can include minnows, leeches, frogs, insects, worms,

fish eggs, cut bait, corn, macaroni, pet food, cheese or similar substances. Fly

materials, such as deer hair, or rubber baits impregnated with artificial scents are not

considered organic bait.

Edited by brifishrgy

Fact is you can't use sunfish or any other game fish as bait unless specifically excepted.

Hope that is what the confirmation you are waiting for from the MNR will reveal.

I'd hate like hell to see you or anyone pinched for trying it, especially after asking for and receiving the number of "don't do it's" on this thread.

If you do try it, and do get charged, let us know what the fine is and what your experiences with it were, please? I'd rather not hear it happened, but IF it does it would be educational for the rest of us.

Good Luck!

Michael

I would think that using any edible portion (ie. fillet) of a sunfish or perch for bait would be illegal. Technically, it could be construed as wasting the meat.

Any other parts (ie. eyes, skin, etc.) would probably fall under the category of "fish parts" and be OK for bait.

Fact is you can't use sunfish or any other game fish as bait unless specifically excepted.

Hope that is what the confirmation you are waiting for from the MNR will reveal.

I'd hate like hell to see you or anyone pinched for trying it, especially after asking for and receiving the number of "don't do it's" on this thread.

If you do try it, and do get charged, let us know what the fine is and what your experiences with it were, please? I'd rather not hear it happened, but IF it does it would be educational for the rest of us.

Good Luck!

Michael

I agree .. you probably are not allowed to use it Ontario but the definition of organic bait doesnt specify what fish can and cant be used.

Herring is one exception that allows you to use it as specified for baitfish. Any fish classified as "Game Fish" cannot be used as bait. You can use other suckers as dead bait but they have the classification of "Caution" for various reasons. Some other suckers are "illegal" used dead or alive. The following link is the DFO's of Canada. Check it out. Remember to check your Zone in the 2010 fishing regulations for added restictions.

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/regions/central/pub/baitfish-appat-on/index-eng.htm

Hope this helps, Rob!

Herring is one exception that allows you to use it as specified for baitfish. Any fish classified as "Game Fish" cannot be used as bait. You can use other suckers as dead bait but they have the classification of "Caution" for various reasons. Some other suckers are "illegal" used dead or alive. The following link is the DFO's of Canada. Check it out. Remember to check your Zone in the 2010 fishing regulations for added restictions.

Hope this helps, Rob!

Thanks for the link .. I hope they decide to update this its from 2005

Hope this helps, Rob!

I've seen that Fisheries and Oceans Baitfish Species Accounts a couple years back and it hasn't been updated. I remember in 2008, new regs came into effect about more species being illegal to use as live bait and the use of alewives is one of them.

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/198684.html

• 3 weeks later...

Got a reply today .. learn something new everyday

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry and we apologize for the delay in responding

to your e-mail.

You may not use the edible parts of game fish for bait in Ontario. By

using sunfish or bluegill for bait you would be wasting flesh suitable

for human consumption. You may use the inedible parts of game fish left

over after you clean the meat (fillet) off them. This would include the

head, fins, entrails and eyes or the whole filleted carcass.

This is providing the lake you are fishing on does not have a

restriction on organic bait.

Regards,

nric web reader - cg

Natural Resources Information Centre

PO Box 7000

Peterborough, ON K9J 8M5

1-800-667-1940

TTY: 1-866-686-6072

Fax: 705-755-1677

[email protected]

http://themnrstore.mnr.gov.on.ca

Got a reply today .. learn something new everyday

Hello,

Thank you for your enquiry and we apologize for the delay in responding

to your e-mail.

You may not use the edible parts of game fish for bait in Ontario. By

using sunfish or bluegill for bait you would be wasting flesh suitable

for human consumption. You may use the inedible parts of game fish left

over after you clean the meat (fillet) off them. This would include the

head, fins, entrails and eyes or the whole filleted carcass.

This is providing the lake you are fishing on does not have a

restriction on organic bait.

Regards,

nric web reader - cg

Natural Resources Information Centre

PO Box 7000

Peterborough, ON K9J 8M5

1-800-667-1940

TTY: 1-866-686-6072

Fax: 705-755-1677

[email protected]

http://themnrstore.mnr.gov.on.ca

I'd print and laminate that letter and carry it with my licence if I was gonna use gamefish leftovers for bait.

JF