Boat trailers

jackal68

I remeber a while back you could buy a not so expensive trailer from Kmart for a little skif. Is this still possible? or could one build one out of thin guage steel. Or where does one go to even look to buy said used / cheap trailer. 14 ft approx. Your thoughts guys?

The old days of building your own trailer and just going and having it registered as a home built are long gone.Things like axles and bearings and tires have to be specifically DESIGNED for trailers and before a license is issued it has to be inspected and passed as fit.All the boat trailer manufactures have small cheap trailers but as a rule no one carries them and you have to order them.

vance

how new is this? I pulled a old trailer out of a field blow up the tires and went to the ministry and said i built this trailer they gave be a plate.

you can buy springs and axles at princess auto if you want to build one but i think it was the "tsc" store thant sell a small utility trailer then all you would have to bo is built a bracket to hold the bunks

CTC also has/had a small utility trailer that could be converted with the tongue extension and bunks, didn't cost all that much.

you should also check your area Craigslist and Kijiji and buy & sell.

Edited by Fisherman

I bought a used trailer on Kijiji for 200 bucks 2 weeks ago. I went to the ministry and said I built a trailer myself and they gave me plates on the spot (no inspection required). Maybe 35 dollars. Using this method may cause some kind of aggravation down the line but you can still do it. I think they go fast on kijiji, typically I see them between 3 and 5 hundred dollars.

Edited by Weeds

For my 12' tinny I got one out of farmers field that had been there for years put new tires on it and painted it. Looks good and works good just cant find a spare rim so I dont go far from home with it. No problem just told them it was homemade.