Need suggestions for cottage rental locations...

BillyBarilko

Hey everyone,

Normally I spend my days on Lake Ontario trolling for Salmon/Bows.

But with the family, wife and 3 young girls, they are asking for a week at a cottage this summer, and there's not many cottage options on Lake O so I need to switch strategies for that week.

My hope was to target Walleye, Muskie, Smallies, or Lake trout etc.

I have 19' deep V fiberglass fitted for Lake O, Walkers riggers, Dipsey rods etc. I'm comfortable in deep water. No bow mount trolling moter (yet), just a 115 4 stroke Merc for power.

Any suggestions on focusing my search? I've hoped to try Turkey Point, or even Western Basin Lake Erie for walleye.

What about Lake St. Clair, or Lake Huron?

I'm even tempted to try Honey Harbor area and make the runs out to Georgian Bay.

I have the Navitronics Gold maps for my Lowrance so I've covered for great lakes + Nippising + Kawarthas. In-Laws live in Penetang area so I'm comfortable with navigating in those areas, and have made the run out to deep water from their place. (not much luck)

Not sure if I'm comfortable with navigating for fishing purposes a lake like Stoney Lake (Which I've done before in tinnys) but not sure if my GPS is accurate enough vs local knowledge. But' I'm considering any water system inland that can hook me up with Musky or Walleye (or Lake Trout)

If anyone knows of a cottage that suits me, let me know :) Driving distance from TO < 6 hours is acceptable.

thanks all.

Darrell

If you want to take Dan's suggestion... the cottage on the other end of my island rents in the summer. Perfect for you and the gals.

Smallies, pickeral and pike off the front or back dock.. and Lakers either right out front or a couple miles down the lake depending on dates...

Interested.. send me a PM and I'll get you in touch with the owner or the guy that looks after it for him.

Edited by irishfield

My family had a great time last year in Picton. Stayed at Merland Park cottages. Nice cottages, good fishing close to the big lake if the weather is good, lots of fish in the Bay of Quinte if it starts to blow. Fish for everything from this spot and the owner is aa angler to boot. Good access, nice town and fair rates.

We have booked again for this year.

Merland screwed over a bunch of us OFC'rs on one of our G2G's.... and well many of us will not return. If you like mouse crap in you're cutlery by all means book there....If you like to pay for boat dockage that means nothing then book there... (True story)

but there is an alternative...

You can also look at Perfect Vu. it is in the same vicinity (5-10 minutes away) and the owners seem to actually care what their guests think about them.

Just a thought..

G.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

lake lauzon has bass, muskie, pike and trout fishing and still has lots of nearby amenities for the fam.

there is a public boat launch and a beach nearby as well.

http://www.lauzonresort.com/?CFID=12245690&CFTOKEN=192dcd29c6095e3b-891A5F6C-19B9-B4CD-1DF98D551C96FD0E

also, this gentleman guides there i believe.

http://www.profishrob.com/

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

This not a bad place to start. All kinds of options

http://www.cottageontario.com/

We used to rent from a guy on Beech Lake just outside Carnarvon. - google it and it will come - Sun of a Beech cottage. Muskie, walleye, pike and lunker bass and trout. My daughter caught a 4 lber in the weeds in the middle of the afternoon on her Dora the explorer rod. Kind of humuliating - when the largest I got was 2.5 for the week. One monster muskie just off the boat ramp. Saw him a couple times - but he saw me and I never did get him to bite. Beech lake is a one in a a chain of 4 lakes all with greaa fishing.

lake lauzon has bass, muskie, pike and trout fishing and still has lots of nearby amenities for the fam.

there is a public boat launch and a beach nearby as well.

http://www.lauzonresort.com/?CFID=12245690&CFTOKEN=192dcd29c6095e3b-891A5F6C-19B9-B4CD-1DF98D551C96FD0E

also, this gentleman guides there i believe.

http://www.profishrob.com/

Dr. Salvelinus, my wife and I thank you so much for the promotion, it is always appreciated. Yes, we do have everything you have mentioned and more. The boat launch is located right on the resort and we have docking available. We have a tackle and bait shop and hanging on the wall is a map of the lake with many hot spots marked out by anglers that have fished this lake for years. We were featured in the fall issue of Ontario Out of doors magazine. Every cottage is located on the lake, each boasting a beautiful view. We have a private beach and it is a short walk along the trail to a public beach and park.

Early this year I was lucky enough to bring in an 18 lb lake trout caught near the narrows but have also been able to land 6 lb smallies right off our docks. Early last year a guest was able to land a 49 inch Muskie right off the shore by cabin 6. Lake Lauzon has been well know for it's great fishing by many of the locals. We do have guests that travel from Michigan, Illinois, New York, and all over southern and south western Ontario. It is a clear water lake with depths in some areas over 300 feet.

Because we are located right on the Trans Canada Hwy. finding us couldn't be easier. We are also located within two minutes of Lake Huron and 10 minutes of some fantastic Pickerel fishing in the Serpent and Spanish rivers. We also have various species of Salmon that spawn in the adjacent creek. Each cabin has its own cooking facilities along with a 4 piece bath, cable TV, access to a gas BBQ and we are only 10 minutes to Blind River, Tim Horton's and many fabulous restaurants. Elliot Lake is also located within 25 minutes.

Karen and I would love see you,

Allan Dunphy

Lake Lauzon Resort

705-849-0007 or 1-866-LauzonR

18lb lake trout.jpg

You'll have to get on it quick. Our trailer park/cottage resort in Honey harbour is already pretty much booked for the summer. My in-laws wanted to rent a cottage for the August long weekend and were informed that it is already booked as is pretty much the whole of August. Temagami would be interesting that's for sure. Good luck.

Thanks all for the great suggestions.

Temagami is definitely on my radar for next year, unfortunately we booked a cottage on Lake St. Clair today where the Thames river mouth is, so I'm targeting Musky and Walleye, and maybe bass.

I'm equipped for Salmon so not sure if this translates to these new targets, I haven't targeted Walleye or Musky since I've bought this boat. I'll ask on a new thread...

cheers,

Darrell