Need a new carp rod

danbouck

I am looking for a new carp rod. The problem is that I need it to be travel size so that I can throw it in my backpack and ride my bike to my spots. It also needs to be somewhat cheap.If anybody has any suggestions please let me know.

Thanks,

Dan

Doesn't fit in a backpack but the 12'6" Shimano Exage travel carp rod has come in handy in the past for bus/subway travel during rush hour. Bought it for $120 at a small tackle shop in Peterborough - Seen the odd one go on ebay (in Canada) for as low as $65. I have the older model which I find incredibly stiff. Depending on the size of fish you're getting in your local swims, it may not be the right rod for you.

20010118_0006.jpg

19800101_0003.jpg

DAM also has the telescopic carp rods (DAM Green Cross Power). Not sure about the price but from what I remember they were (or still are) going for $35-$40. The people I've talked to who owned them had no complaints. If anything, I found the guides a little too small for my liking but I use advanced shockleader rigs with big knots that very few people actually use in their average fishing.

i used my downrigger rod before i bought my 2nd carp rod... (shimano TDR 8'6 MH)

worked good... if it works on Salmon, it'll work on Carp...

i'm one of those people that doesn't believe a rod makes a huge difference... rather spend the $$ on a good reel then a good rod...

side note, check with FW if they still have the nexave/techniums for 50% off... those are full size carp rods though...

if you're not really picky on the action/feel/weight of the rod, go with the telescopic. I bought one used from Mikeh here on OFC for a really good price. I believe it's made by the Koreans ... 12', once it's packed down it's only about 2 feet long. It's stiff enough to fight big carp.

Try sending him a message and see if he still has any left. Back when I got mine he was selling 3, 2 x 12' and 1 that's 14. I got one of the 12'. I think he got it when he went to asia intending to use it for carp.