First Baitcasting Reel

Lakeshore

Hi everyone, I have a questions that I am hoping to get lots of feedback on. I am going up to BPS on Monday to do some shopping and visit family.

I have never used a baitcasting reel/outfit before. I have heard though this site and others that a good place to start would be the Shimano Citica E.

You opinions, and advice would be greatly appreciated. Any suggestions on a good matching rod would be great too.

I am on a bit of a budget, so reasonably priced ~$200 total for rod and reel or near that would be great.

Thanks Again

Edited by Lakeshore

Guest steel'n'esox

Citicas are a great dependable reel that will last forever if taken care of, match it with a compre and your set likely over the 200.00 unless BPS has a special on, might be going there monday myself good luck

I see your from St Catharines

Citica is 139.00 at Peter's tackle in St Catharines. Curado is 229.00

Bass pro has Citica at 149.00. Curado is 229.00

I would take the Citica at Peters tackle and unless you have and old reel to trade in.

I have had a Citica for about 5 years now. It is a great reel. I have other reels and the Citica just keeps on going strong. I would strongly suggest it.

Edited by Grimace

go with the quantum energy PT. trade an old reel in and get 30 bucks off the reel. and its a great reel. if u wanna spend a little less, look at the quantum catalyst or kinetic PT reels. they are about 149 and 129 respectively and with a reel trade in u'll save 25 bucks on one of them.

im goin today to get one, havent yet decided what one to get, was gonna get the energy, but may get one of the others to save some money to spend on tackle! lol

the citica is a great reel. (that means a lot coming from me... i hate shimano lol, but i have 2 citica E's and they're great for the price.) but for the same price, or a little more, or a little less... u'll get a better reel with the quantum PT line.

Showed off my new Revo SX Regular 194, on sale for 184 then with a reel trade in got it for 154...was a pretty sweet deal for a solid reel.

as for a rod...get somethin in the 65-100 doller range. 59.99-89.99 is all you need, there light enough and strong enough. BPS Extreme, R-Type, etc... Set the bar at $250 for the combo and get a slightly better reel but do it before Wednesday(reel trade in ends)

im glad that your not starting out with a 20$-50$ bait casting reels just to see if you like it. buying a cheap bait casting is asking for trouble, nothing but birds nest and will make a good fishing day into a miserable one . since you plan on getting the Citica E id spend few bucks more and get the curado E. both the curado and the citica are made in Japan. when ever it comes to bait casting reels you need to get quality made which requires a bit more $$$$ , therefor i lean towards the Japanese or Swedish. trust me you get your money's worth in the long run.

I think for the reel trade-in you can purchase a $10 reel from the store and still save money on the trade-in plan. Incase you don't have any reels to trade in.

for a first baitcast a Citica or a Curado are great reels.

They actually have $5.88 reels for sale if you don't have one to trade in. The Citica's are $149 and you'll get a $25 instant rebate on them... bringing them to $124.99... there is no where you can buy a Citica E for that price!

Despite what some will tell you you don`t need a expensive reel to learn how to cast, I learned on a 30 dollar Shimano 20 years ago and it still works fine.

If you want to spend 200 that`s fine you can get a excellent combo for that money, some here don`t understand the concept of a budget!!

Thanks to everyone who replied, I am off to BPS today, looking forward to doing some shopping, I am taking an old reel in for rebate, and will be asking lots of questions of the staff there.

I am still leaning to the Citica E, but I will ask questions. BTW are the staff there very knowledgeable, or am I just wasting my time asking too many questions.

Mario

Mario, if you are interested in the Citica, talk to Buck at the reel counter. He's from Shimano and can give you an excellent breakdown of the reel and how to properly set it up. There will be some Shimano Field Staffers there all week along with Berkley / Abu staffers as well. Several of the BPS folks behind the counter really know the product also.

JP

Thanks to all who replied, I picked up the Citica E last night. I got some good advice from the sales associate. I did not pick up a rod, but will do so later.

As soon as the weather warms up a bit I guess I have to start practicing.

Edited by Lakeshore