Fishing Birch Lake

ssauvain

Hello one and all

Iowa boy here just wanting to know a little more information about Birch lake. We are flying in with Peter Kay and staying at his outpost on Birch. We have fished another site of his Saddle Lake and accomodations and fishing were phenomenal. He informs us the walleye fishing is as good and bigger fish. We are going the 2nd week of July...what are some lures of choice...also what is the lake trout and northern fishing like. I would appreciate any help! Usually I like the storm wildeye's, shad raps, etc....any particular colors. Thanks again!

So you guys are saying Birch has smallmouth? My dad and I use to go to Fireside Lodge on Little Vermillion and had awesome early season bass fishing....my fondest memory is my first smallie weighed 6 lbs...and caught it on my ultralight with fireline....on Claus lake I believe...great times!

It was the end of May as bass were moving up to reefs and rock piles...my 2nd bass I got was not much later the same day and it weighed 5 1/2 pounds...we have unbelievable bass fishing on Little Vermillion...my dad goes about every year...except 2 years ago when we flew out of ear falls to saddle lake outpost...6 of us and we caught on the average about 500 walleyes a day for the group...it was unreal!!! This year we are flying to birch lake...that is why I was posting to see if anyone had any experience with the lake...or what works well for the walleye in that particular water....we love to troll shap raps, berkley frenzies, etc....wildeyes....

I was hesitant to add my 2 cents to this thread, as I wasn't totally sure it was the lake I was thinking of.

As it turns out I think I can help. I've paddled the Cat lake chain of lakes. Birch Lake actually feeds into them, and if you follow the chain downstream they feed into Lake St. Joseph which is the headwaters of the Albany.

All of these lakes are walleye factories, with a pretty heavy tanin stain to the water. To be honest all I ever use up there are 3" twister tails in a variety of hot colours and a handful of 1/8, and 1/4 oz heads. Bait is not necessary.

Birch is a pretty big lake from my recollection with a ton of islands, and very irregular in shape, so you won't get bored.

The one thing I'd definitely recommend you do: Check out the outflowing river (the one that feeds into the Cat Lake chain). When you come to the first impassable rapids, beach the boat, grab your rods and go for a walk. Fish below the rapids, wade wet if you have to...All the current areas up there are just stacked with fish, especially the ones not easily accessible

to any outpost camps or lodges.

I was hesitant to add my 2 cents to this thread, as I wasn't totally sure it was the lake I was thinking of.

As it turns out I think I can help. I've paddled the Cat lake chain of lakes. Birch Lake actually feeds into them, and if you follow the chain downstream they feed into Lake St. Joseph which is the headwaters of the Albany.

All of these lakes are walleye factories, with a pretty heavy tanin stain to the water. To be honest all I ever use up there are 3" twister tails in a variety of hot colours and a handful of 1/8, and 1/4 oz heads. Bait is not necessary.

Birch is a pretty big lake from my recollection with a ton of islands, and very irregular in shape, so you won't get bored.

The one thing I'd definitely recommend you do: Check out the outflowing river (the one that feeds into the Cat Lake chain). When you come to the first impassable rapids, beach the boat, grab your rods and go for a walk. Fish below the rapids, wade wet if you have to...All the current areas up there are just stacked with fish, especially the ones not easily accessible

to any outpost camps or lodges.

Thanks so much for the info solo...yes that sounds like the lake that the outfitter told us about..I havea lake map and they say it is very irregular shaped and a walleye hotspot...lake trout too...and supposedly nice northern. The river you talk of is it on the south end of the lake??? I will definitely try that...sounds like an adventure.