Safe ice?

jayess

Hey guys,

I was in the Haliburton area for some fishing on the weekend and found that the lake we were on had about 8-10" of good ice still.

thinking about heading Bancroft-way this weekend for some (late) winter camping and fishing. no sleds or trucks on the ice, but wondering your opinions on late season fishing with regards to ice thickness and safety. when coming across an unfamiliar lake with unknown thickness, how do you approach the situation?

won't be going alone for what it's worth, just hoping for some safety tips from the veterans.

cheers

In late season, ice thickness is no guarantee of safety. As spring progresses, the ice begins to honeycomb, turns white, pockets and voids develop below the surface. Float coats, walking sticks and ice picks should be standard gear.

thanks guys. with the upcoming rain in the area, how does this affect the ice? it seems at this point that temps are still dropping to around freezing at night, +/- a degree or two.

new to all of this, so I appreciate the input from experienced folks.

thanks guys. with the upcoming rain in the area, how does this affect the ice? it seems at this point that temps are still dropping to around freezing at night, +/- a degree or two.

new to all of this, so I appreciate the input from experienced folks.

After 2-3 days of rain runoff and warm the shoreline ice will break up quickly