Wanderlei Silva Vs Dan Henderson!

Crazyhook

What a huge upset. It was weird, it almost looked like Silva was very very respectful (maybe even fearful) of Henderson. Most times Silva is a relentless stalking attacker. He was going *backwards* while exchanging including the left hook that caught him.

I'm shocked.

More shocking however was the pathetic performance by Gomi. He fights 10 minute first rounds in Japan and fights at a fast pace. What kind of training did he do that he was totally gassed at about the 3 minute mark of the first round.

Great card though top to bottom with more upsets than I've ever seen at this level. Wiuff, Nogueira, Misaki, Gomi, Silva were all favorites and all five not only lost, but lost BIG TIME.

Some complaints though. Too many UFC comparisons and snide remarks. Almost pro wrestling like - contrived. Doesn't pass the smell test, I think Dana White might be buying Pride very soon.

Lonny Mac did a pretty good job in his first MMA gig. I like him in the WSOP broadcasts, but he did a very passable job in Mauro Ranallo's normal role.

Charles

Actually Hendo lost to Misaki (the guy Frank Trigg dominated) in the last 185 lb Grand Prix Tournament. Misaki lost to Paulo Filho, but then won the tournament as an injury replacement for Filho over Denis Kang. Hendo won the first 185 lb Grand Prix over Bustamante.

I guess one factor to consider is that Hendo lost a close decision to Misaki, whereas in Silva's last match he got brutally annihilated.

Quinton Jackson has never really been the same since Silva destroyed him the 2nd time. Maybe Silva's psyche is destroyed now after the Cro Cop destruction? I guess a devastating knock out loss can play with anyone's confidence in themselves.

Charles

Awesome event no doubt . After Diaz put the gogoplata on gomi I thought I was gonna have a heart attack , and that the windows in my room would shatter , then Hendo KO's Wandy ? What in the world is happening !!

One thing's for sure , MMA is one helluva risky betting game ! The only person I'll always bet on without hesitation is Fedor , and even that , not for long .

The fellow from Cameroon, Sokoudjou(sp?), who trains with Hendo was a +1600 underdog. I think that means if you bet $2 on him, you win back $16, so 8-1. Not sure as I don't bet on sports. People who knew more about the fellow might have made a killing as he looked fantastic.

But like you say grilw, could be the toughest sport to bet on as upsets from a lucky punch, freak injury or simply from a match-up of styles can lead to some massive upsets.

Charles

you would've made a killing if you dropped $100 on all the underdogs.. the +1800 means (i think) that a $100 bet gives you $1800 back..

i honestly think that was one of the better ppv's i've ever seen..

a little off topic but related enough, anyone see/hear what happened to rulon gardner? he might be the only person in the world that would beat Fedor (if only he got into mma)

*edit: my bad, i guess he faught at Shockwave '04

Edited by Bitsmith2k