Emergency reel repair

WeedLine

Hey guys, thanks for the input about fishing my reels in saltwater. I´m in Costa Rica right now, loving life, until my shimano calcutta 250 got screwed this morning. I got some sand in it and the thumb bar started to become stuck and harder to depress. I casted out but now the spool wont reel in. I took it apart, rinsed with freshwater, but still when I turn the handle, the spool doesn´t pick up the line or turn. The thumb bar is also shot. Any suggestions? All I have is a multitool. Thanks guys. Oh yeah, so far just small fish from shore but I´m going out on a boat Friday with a local guy who freaked when he saw my tackle. when I leave I told him I would give him some lures and my PowerPro. Gear is very hard to come by around here and very expensive. Great deal because it costs huge $$$$$ to go on a charter here. $1200 US for 8 hrs. I still have a spinning rod/reel combo but even the small fish here scap like crazy and would love to have the baitcast outfit back in order to huck spoons and jerkbaits. Thanks guys, Pura Vida

Nice to hear you're having a great time. Weather must be awesome and that fresh sea air must be refreshing too.

I have no clue how to fix you reel so I can only offer my thoughts.

Did you ask around and see if there is a reel repair shop (d they have a yellow pages there at the hotel?) or perhaps a local fisherman who is knowledgeable and owns similar reels? Maybe you can trade him a lure for a quick repair.

Did you check the parts for any physical damage and are you absolutely sure all the parts went back into the reel in the correct locations?

Since you have internet access:

Did you google for reel take apart articles with pictures example take downs of other reels:

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/shimano/...00-rebuild.html

http://www.reelschematic.com/content/view/348/28/

an old 250 schematic: http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/...69830641849.pdf

Hope someone with baitcasting repair skill chimes in so you get it fixed quickly and catch some nice fish. :thumbsup_anim:

Edited by Syn

Same thing happened to my Corsair....small plastic piece inside had finally worn down and given up the ghost...needed a proper shop to repair it. Only $40 tho...so it won't be bad once you get home with it...but for now, I'd say don't mess with it. Unless you wanna handline some of those fish in :o

Have fun down there

I took it apart, rinsed with freshwater, but still when I turn the handle, the spool doesn´t pick up the line or turn. The thumb bar is also shot.

oh man, you're gonna kick yourself when you read this, that's a rookie mistake....straight from the shimano instruction booklet that would've came with your reel, also available online from their website:

Be careful to put

the QuickFire II clutch bar in the "up" position when

reassembling the reel. Otherwise, it may not mesh

properly with the release mechanism

hope you see this in time to salvage your trip....