Auger bag for transport?

jayess

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a method for transporting my gas auger when hiking backcountry. A friend and I have tried latching it on to his Pelican sled, but it's far too tippy when it comes to going up/down hills. I saw that Cabelas USA sells a backpack-style carrying bag, and it looks like Eskimo carries something similar (but more for protection, less for carrying).

Any other suggestions for transporting the auger?

A sled isn't in the budget, the solution has to be for trekkers. What has worked for you?

Thanks in advance

I have the Cabelas Auger Hauler and it does a great job at protecting the auger.

When I'm on foot I put it in a longer sled (actually a kids sled) that I have added a rope and plastic conduit harness to haul it with.

If you google Ski Pulk you will get an idea of what it looks like.

The plastic conduit keeps the sled from running me over when going down hill. :lol:

This is the sled I used.

Sled

I drilled 5/16" holes about a foot apart around the perimeter and ran 1/4" poly rope in and out of those holes to give me lashing points. I put the auger in with the powerhead at the back, otherwise it plows snow (didn't take long to figure that out).

To keep the auger from moving around I use bungee cords from one side to the other (that's what the 1/4" rope is for).

read a review on the cabelas site that the handles are not long enough to be used as a back pack...

Bummer -- that seemed like the ideal solution aside from shipping costs from Cabelas (their Canadian sister site doesn't carry them)

bowslayer: I like the idea of the deeper sled for stability reasons. Does your auger stick out a bit, or is the length of the sled sufficient?

DRIFTER_016: the ski pulk is definitely appealing. i've seen friends using this for winter camping treks.

I had a lady custom make one here in town for me and only charged me $60. Even with reflective markers on it for night time use. Strong as hell and re inforced to the nines as well as some adjustable padded shoulder straps. Double canvas where the straps and blade covers are. You could not tear this if you tried. Great job. I told her what I wanted and she made it for me. Made out of Yellow lightweight canvas coated with rubber on the inside unlike those cheap imitations you find here. She even made me a custom one for my hand augers that have lasted me for 3 years allready and have stood the test. I checked everywhere for one like it and could not find.

I have since got her to make me a Boat cover for my Bassboat, Cover for my Smaller John style boat, motor cover to match boat cover, cover for my electronics while driving and one for my bicycle seats on the bass boat.

Edited by smalliefisher

Hey folks,

I'm looking for a method for transporting my gas auger when hiking backcountry. A friend and I have tried latching it on to his Pelican sled, but it's far too tippy when it comes to going up/down hills. I saw that Cabelas USA sells a backpack-style carrying bag, and it looks like Eskimo carries something similar (but more for protection, less for carrying).

Any other suggestions for transporting the auger?

A sled isn't in the budget, the solution has to be for trekkers. What has worked for you?

Thanks in advance

If you have a decent back pack, at the bottom or at the sides, you should have some extra straps .Thats what I used.And some extra protection over the auger blades, just in case.

If you have a decent back pack, at the bottom or at the sides, you should have some extra straps .Thats what I used.And some extra protection over the auger blades, just in case.

have you got a picture by chance? I think i know what you mean but it doesn't sound very stable, so i might be wrong. i have several hiking backpacks but none that i would want to sacrifice to oil stains and possible blade slices

have you got a picture by chance? I think i know what you mean but it doesn't sound very stable, so i might be wrong. i have several hiking backpacks but none that i would want to sacrifice to oil stains and possible blade slices

Are you bringing a gas auger or a hand auger?A folding chair cover or 2 should work .I have a jack wolfskin pack and never stained it.A gas auger, you can seperate the power head with an allan key,and a manual there is no need,its light.Heres an idea, 2 old skiis and rig up a sled.My otter2 sled is on skiis,and im glad I did it.2 sleds in one.

Are you bringing a gas auger or a hand auger?A folding chair cover or 2 should work .I have a jack wolfskin pack and never stained it.A gas auger, you can seperate the power head with an allan key,and a manual there is no need,its light.Heres an idea, 2 old skiis and rig up a sled.My otter2 sled is on skiis,and im glad I did it.2 sleds in one.

gas auger. i thought about separating it and i guess it wouldn't be that bad. ideally it would be nice if i could rig something up that not only would get me to the lake quickly, but i could pack up quickly to move locations. maybe just taking off the powerhead, putting it in an old schoolbag, and using your folding chair cover idea for the blade would work. would have to be a big chair to cover the 8" blade tho

gas auger. i thought about separating it and i guess it wouldn't be that bad. ideally it would be nice if i could rig something up that not only would get me to the lake quickly, but i could pack up quickly to move locations. maybe just taking off the powerhead, putting it in an old schoolbag, and using your folding chair cover idea for the blade would work. would have to be a big chair to cover the 8" blade tho

Find 2 old skiis a small peice of plywood and some 2x4s to make a small sled.Save your Back!This can double as an emergency device,or to carry extra gear.

Get rid of the hex bolt and get yourself a quick pin for the head to auger attachment. I use a push button MIL spec pin... But a bailed PTO pin from Princess Auto would work just fine as well...