Upper French River / Lake Nippising Lodges

mattyk

Looking to go to one of these lodges early july. Does anybody have experience with these lodges? Would primarily like to target muskies/pike. What is the fishing like in this area, as i have never been there before. I have only been to the wolsely bay area. IS there navigational charts avialable for this portion of river and lake nippising? Would appreciate any info, feel free to send me a PM. Thank you.

The Ludge Lodge I have never stayed at but one that is close by is Lak Air (5 STARS) so the waterways are over lapping.The map # is 6038 for the area you want to fish at. The area has alot of pike and most are in the 2 to 8 lb range if you fish in the right area. The musky are their but it will take you a lot of scouting to locate them. Their is a lot of habitat and the fish are spread out and do not wander far from their home sites. Good luck with the trip and bring a few clown pattern husky jerks and inline musky spinners in the same color and black.

Art

The map # for the area is actually #6036. That will cover 5-mile bay to the west arm of Nippising and everwhere you will fish in between. You can get it from bigwoodssports.com. They will ship it to the US without any issues.

I will be making my first trip to Lunge this spring (June 5-12), so I can't comment on the lodge, but have heard nothing but good things. In all of my past trips there, I have stayed at Casablanca Lodge. Bryan is having issues with the place and looking to sell, so his prices have skyrocketed, hence why we are switching it up this year. Mike and Steve have been very helpful with booking Lunge for this year.

We primarily fish for pike and muskie and I'd be happy to share some good areas with you. I don't proclaim to be an "expert" on the Upper French, but we have caught our fair share of big (40"+) pike and big (50"+) muskie. Often times you have to sort through some smaller fish, but there are monsters in this area...I mean monsters. It's a great part of the river. Feel free to send me a PM anytime.

-Gino

matt, lakair is quite a boat ride from the upper french area. i certainly would not recommend it, esp if you are not familiar with the big lake.

gciotala has given you some good advice. including the proper chart #.

Edited by Raf

Thanks Raf you saved my butt on this.

Matt I am sorry I confused the lundge lodge with one that is on the West End of Lake Nippissing. You do not want to make that run.... it is tough when the wind blows. The map # I gave you is for the west arm and is not correct.

I was with Brian and Liz years back and found the camp very nice but as you say the rates have made it less attractive. If you decide that you want to fish different waters the west arm does have some pretty nice waters to play in though.

Art

I stay at Sandy Haven every year near the mouth of the French. I've never stayed at Lunge but I've heard great things about it. I don't think you'd regret booking there. As Gino said, that area is great fishing and there are big fish lurking there.

I worked at both as a guide and dock boy.... Chaudiere is more luxurious and geared mostly to the AP crowd and less HK.. awesome !! The BEST LODGE ON THE FRENCH. *****

Lunge is more laidback and geared to some AP and mostly HK unless things have changed since 1993-1995.

As for fishing ... well the lodges are about a mile away from each other.. you decide.

At that time it was WAY CHEAPER to stay @ Lunge.

RFS

:canadian:

I talked with the folks from Lunge Lodge a couple years ago at a show in Monroeville, PA and, if I recall correctly, they are focusing more on the American Plan during the high season and have some house-keeping in the off season. Sounds like they give preference for AP, but if they still have some last minute openings, you may get a HK package. My Dad stayed there a number of years ago and really liked it. Can't hurt to drop them an E-mail or a phone call and let them know what you're looking for.

Chaudiere Lodge is under new management starting this year. Steve is the new owner and he is is a bass tournament angler, avid fisherman and ran one of the kids fishing clubs up here in Orangeville. He's a great guy that will take care of his customers andI know he has big plans for the lodge to make it better then ever and considering Steve's an avid angler it will be very angler freindly. I'll be up there a lot this year chasing big muskies around. It's worth checking it out. http://www.chaudierelodge.com/

My buddies have been going to the lunge lodge for 25 years or so, they are usually there the end of August or in early September. They have been staging a camp bass tournament when they are there, I don`t think any one outside their group has won.

I was there once for a day to visit them while staying at Pointe Au Baril, it is a nice area and I caught bass, didn`t fish for anything else intentionally. They also catch muskies pike and walleye.