Humminbird 565

camillj

I bought the portable model last year (and two gel cells so that one could be charging while I am out fishing with the other) ... anyhow I just figured out how to use this baby correctly through the ice ... and I am amazed ... at 47 feet I was able to (at 4X zoom) watch CLEARLY my two minnows swimming up and down past the single split shot that was 6" above and below them ... I could see fish moving in for a look and watch as the minnows started to panic ... just incredible .... I cant imagine why anyone would prefer a flasher over this ... I will have to see if my pictures turned out so I can share this with you ... or better yet get a short video of the minnows on the screen .... absolutely cant say enough about it.

I run a 6x zoom on my 747c using the narrow 20 degree beam and at 100ft the detail you can see is amazing.. It's like playing a video game with the whities.

I'll never be out on the ice without a graph again... I don't even wanna think about all the wasted time I spent fishing blind.

Edited by BillM

I’m probably more frustrated now that I can see what’s going on at the bottom around my lure – Seeing fish swim from 116ft to chase my lure to the 60-40ft mark and go back down to the bottom without hitting left me pi$$ed more than a few times this season :lol:

I just picked up a Humminbird 343c a couple weeks ago and my dad turned it into a portable unit for me using a cooler bag and some wood.

I actually got sorta car sick watching my friend’s vexilar and all the lights flickering the time I used one…I’m surprised more people don’t get seizures just looking at them. Flashers aren’t for me but some flasher units have a narrower cone angle (8-9 degree option) and from what I’ve read, they handle the cold better than LCD screens…No problems so far with my unit or my friends units in the cold (down to -25C…I’d be in a hut anyway in temps colder than that)…Definitely an exponential improvement compared to my old Eagle Cuda 128 which didn’t perform very well (if at all) in the cold outside or over deep water.

Also love the history aspect of the finder where you can look back a few seconds to see if you’ve missed a fish by looking at the lines. With zoom on, I was able to see my small split shot + my minnow gyrating a foot off bottom in 95ft of water. I was amazed.

I’m probably more frustrated now that I can see what’s going on at the bottom around my lure – Seeing fish swim from 116ft to chase my lure to the 60-40ft mark and go back down to the bottom without hitting left me pi$$ed more than a few times this season :lol:

I just picked up a Humminbird 343c a couple weeks ago and my dad turned it into a portable unit for me using a cooler bag and some wood.

I actually got sorta car sick watching my friend’s vexilar and all the lights flickering the time I used one…I’m surprised more people don’t get seizures just looking at them. Flashers aren’t for me but some flasher units have a narrower cone angle (8-9 degree option) and from what I’ve read, they handle the cold better than LCD screens…No problems so far with my unit or my friends units in the cold (down to -25C…I’d be in a hut anyway in temps colder than that)…Definitely an exponential improvement compared to my old Eagle Cuda 128 which didn’t perform very well (if at all) in the cold outside or over deep water.

Also love the history aspect of the finder where you can look back a few seconds to see if you’ve missed a fish by looking at the lines. With zoom on, I was able to see my small split shot + my minnow gyrating a foot off bottom in 95ft of water. I was amazed.

I still don't know what to pick for a sonar. I really don't like flashers either and don't want to pay for something I don't really like but definately should have sonar. So many choices to pick from.

I have the 565 too. At 40' I can mark my double-uni knot.

Joey, There are several things that can effect the clarity of these units. If the transducer is not pointing DIRECTLY down toward your bait, it won't mark it as clear. There's a bunch of settings that will affect clarity too, such as bottom zoom, bottom settings, and sensitivity.

Do you ever fish the Alcona area? If so, we can meet up one weekend, and I can show you all the tricks..