Spare spool for a shimano sahara?

Lunatic

Without hi-jacking another thread,ive been thinking about another reel or just using a fluoro leader on my braid so i can fish both heavy cover and clear water.

but think it would be best if i could get an extra spool for my sahara 2500.

how much do they usually go for and where can i get em?

id like to use one for braid and the other with fluorocarbon

thanks

It's kind of annoying how shimano, and many other companies, don't include spare spools unless you buy higher end reels. Spare spools may for a shimano may cost more than you think, i was told about $50 or so at a local store to order a spare spool for a symetre reel a couple years ago, though it may be different for a sahara? And that would be my advice to you; go to your local tackle store and see what they can do. They may even have something extra kicking around they'd sell for cheap you never know. If you do upgrade I know for sure that the stradics come with spare spools.

Personally I just use braid with fluoro line as a leader. Learn how to tie a double uni knot (google it) or use a small swivel. I've never had problems with this. A small swivel will really help eliminate line twist as well.

I don't know about Shimano, but it's probably the same, Daiwa reels come with extra spools, but I always buy an extra right from Daiwa, the last spool I bought was $27 for my Tierra 2500. Try calling Shimano directly and see if they sell them.

Here is the number for parts. Shimano American Corporation 877-577-0600. Hope this helps

I've always got 2 spools with any Sahara I've purchased.. when did that change?

I'd check out Ebay.

They just started to take away the spare spool last year.

And even now shimano doesn't even give a spare spool for the new stradic CI4! a $200 reel that has the reel, and ONLY the reel!

I wonder if they're gonna start taking the spools out when they start redesigning the stellas and sustains

They just started to take away the spare spool last year.

And even now shimano doesn't even give a spare spool for the new stradic CI4! a $200 reel that has the reel, and ONLY the reel!

I wonder if they're gonna start taking the spools out when they start redesigning the stellas and sustains

Wow man, that really blows... I bet they didn't lower the price of the reels either :)

Bill, actually the prices all went UP. I belive the 2009 Sahara went up by close to $20 compared to the 2008 one

Supposedly the quality of the main reel and spool went UP, and to protect your price from going even higher, they took out the spare spools! :dunno:

Edited by EC1

Yeah I bought a 2500 last year and it only had 1 spool but I bought it at BPS during the reel trade in and it only cost me $72 +tax not bad for a reel that IMO is as good or better than my old stratic I plan on getting another 3000 this year as they have a $20 mail in rebate on right now the spare spool doesn't bother me mainly because I have enough rods that I cover all my line needs with different set ups but if you only have 1-2 rods than 2 spools would be a nice option.

• 2 months later...

Try Ebay first. If not, PM me. I have 2 new Saros aluminum spools that I am willing to let go for $20 each or $35 for both. One is 2500 and one is 3000. They fit on my Sahara 3000FD for sure. If you don't mind the different label, this might work for you. I was told that the 2500 and 3000 spools are interchangeable, only that the 3000 is deeper.