sault laker report

pike slayer

Well my buddy and i went out today to jarvis first thing in the morning, got on the lake at 9am and fished it till about 11am then booked it off to crooked lakes till around 2:30pm. the bite was SLOW i never seen it sooo bad but i did get a nice snack. the bigger one came from jarvis coming in at 19" and got 3 other little guys that went back. On crooked got 5 lakers and took this 15" little buddy home with me. how do you like the colour on the smaller guy?? thats what they all look like in this lake no spots and brighter orange fins then normal. half were caught jigging a willams wabler just plain no bait and the rest on medium dace ranging from 10-25fow. i took a pic with the OFC thing there, not impressive fish but it puts team 3 on the board.

jarvis_laker.jpeg

Do lakers taste substantially different from different fisheries? I have some friends who call them greasers and absolutely hate them, and others who think they're great. One of the big differences seems to be where the fish come from (ie. simcoe vs. more northern fisheries)

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Do lakers taste substantially different from different fisheries? I have some friends who call them greasers and absolutely hate them, and others who think they're great. One of the big differences seems to be where the fish come from (ie. simcoe vs. more northern fisheries)

small lakers from relatively shallower lakes are delicious. on the other extreme, siscowet lakers from the depths of lake superior are much fattier... so fatty in fact that "siscowet" is supposed to mean something like "fries in its own fat" or something (sorry for the awful translation)...

Worm Dangler nice catch, I love laker fishn.

We have some lakes around here that hold those lakers, we call them silvers.

Cram the lakers can really differ in taste depending on lake conditions and food source. Some of the lakes I have caught them from where they feed on fresh water shrimp the meat is pink and sweet.

Other lakes the meat is white and greasy ex. lakes with smelt.

good thing you didnt post a pic with a blurred background, you'd be getting all sorts of nasty PM's from people demanding to know where your spot it :lol:

I'm suprised he isn't getting slammed for naming the lakes.

nice fish ...pretty crappy limits we are being subjected to though. I guess it makes you take your kids along.

selfmade we call them "greys" here. and pretty neat going from jarvis to crooked only a 5-10min snowmobile ride away, totally different looking lakers.

ohhh no shoot me!! all the southerners are gonna be coming up and cleaning out those lakes, sorry guys!!

and i can catch the poachers but there wont be any catch and release!

the secret bait is blue light ;)

Edited by worm dangler

selfmade we call them "greys" here. and pretty neat going from jarvis to crooked only a 5-10min snowmobile ride away, totally different looking lakers.

ohhh no shoot me!! all the southerners are gonna be coming up and cleaning out those lakes, sorry guys!!

and i can catch the poachers but there wont be any catch and release!

the secret bait is blue light ;)

do you lower it down on a camera or just jig it with the fish finder?

I'm suprised he isn't getting slammed for naming the lakes.

nice fish ...pretty crappy limits we are being subjected to though.

If anyone fishes in the Soo they've already fished these lakes multiple times. They rank pretty high on the "community" list.

Koo-dos for posting a report wormdangler, but common, you have a sled, time for some better lakes ;)

The "crappy" limits are there because of the index netting and creel surveys done on the lakes in this FMZ within the past few years. The lower lake trout limits have nothing to do with poachers, more to do with over harvest. 5 fish from a small lake is not sustainable whatsoever.

Give the OMNR link a thorough read. It will help answer your questions about lake trout and the new limits in this area. Its basically going to enhance the fishing (size and numbers) and I personally don't see those limit numbers going up for another 10 years. Which is a good thing, because the fishing in this area will be at its best from past decades. Quite frankly, lake trout fishing in this area really sucks compared to what I've seen out west, mainly due to the old 5 fish/day where they don't have a chance to get big. Funny how people will complain about their "snack sized" fish when they are ultimately the cause of that.

www.mnr.gov.on.ca/267914.pdf

xeon have you ever fished crooked, jarvis, bone, lonely, iron, etc?? they are all loaded with small lake trout that keep you busy all day and just want to leave them on for bait. its like perch fishing for lake trout, get on a school and the action doesnt stop. the limit was 3 of any size and no complaints. and whats the deal with lakes like upper island lake no slot size there, how can that lake possibly be more healthy then all the surrounding lakes when its surrounded by homes and camps!?!

i've fished other better lakes in the past but its hard finding ppl willing that own a reliable sled(i dont go with only one sled) and the limits are to low to travel any distance for 2 lakers, all lakes i said are within 30min of town and are stocked annually. If i go for lakers now i always have a plan to go for other species after. Monday bone for lakers then tupper/pickard for specks. alot more ppl are doing this and specks will take a hit or ppl will just start saying screw the limit and start chancing keeping more fish and well if they are breaking the law they might as well go all out. i say either 2 with no slot, 3 with slot sizes or change opening and closing dates of lake trout but now that will never happen.

xeon have you ever fished crooked, jarvis, bone, lonely, iron, etc?? they are all loaded with small lake trout that keep you busy all day and just want to leave them on for bait. its like perch fishing for lake trout, get on a school and the action doesnt stop. the limit was 3 of any size and no complaints. and whats the deal with lakes like upper island lake no slot size there, how can that lake possibly be more healthy then all the surrounding lakes when its surrounded by homes and camps!?!

i've fished other better lakes in the past but its hard finding ppl willing that own a reliable sled(i dont go with only one sled) and the limits are to low to travel any distance for 2 lakers, all lakes i said are within 30min of town and are stocked annually. If i go for lakers now i always have a plan to go for other species after. Monday bone for lakers then tupper/pickard for specks. alot more ppl are doing this and specks will take a hit or ppl will just start saying screw the limit and start chancing keeping more fish and well if they are breaking the law they might as well go all out. i say either 2 with no slot, 3 with slot sizes or change opening and closing dates of lake trout but now that will never happen.

Ive fished a few of those lakes, and I don't waste my time with the area anymore. Too much access, too many people, too many of them keep everything, which equals sub-par fishing.

It doesn't matter if there are complaints or not, bottom line is the lakes cant take the pressure. Try going fishing with the mindset of catch and release for trophies (8lbs+) not food, it makes it more interesting and the 2 fish limit wont bother you. You can still bring home one for the pan and another for the oven even if you don't hook into something big. After all, the limits are for the better good, and they still allow you to keep your big lakers if you choose to eat them. If meat is still what you're after go for perch, you can keep 50 of them a day.

ya ice fishing my mind isnt set on c&r, im on a meat hunt and who the heck wants a bunch of perch when you can get lake trout?? i have zero interest in perchin

i go for lakers then head for specks or rainbows.

those lakes are fun to get out on and have an action packed day even if they arent big, so i wouldnt consider it wasting my time and i know i'll be bringing home something and it doesnt brother my conscience cause its stocked annually.

i dont mind a few other ppl around on those lakes, im friendly and talk to other, its nothing like southern ontario fishing shoulder to shoulder.

i go in search for lakers in the 2-5lb range best eats not some big old fat spawner.

my only c&r is in the summer with bass and pike cause well i get sooo many it just doesnt even matter