NF convert sckool bus to motorhome NF

BUSTER

I have a chance at a school bus in fair shape, apparently all you have to do is remove to school bus stickers and paint it other than yellow,remove most of the seats and anyone with a G can drive it?

Has anyone one done this? Iam more interested in insurance,MTO,registration and such..whats required?

Lots of different answers on the internet, does anyone really know?

THANKS

a full size bus? I gotta think once you outfit it with all the motorhome essentials you would be well into DZ territory. My dad has heard of mto busting retirees with the fifth wheel tow trailerhomes because the weight of them requires an A, and a lot of these guys don't have it. Gotta watch the weight...

I do not have a definitive answer though.

You can drive any motorhome with a G licence.. only gray area may be one with air brakes.. but I don't even think that is an issue. Trucks pulling trailers over the exempt recreational GVWR are getting nailed for an A as mbosh points out.

Why go thru all the expense Brad to convert that ugly thing...... just come buy my 34' x 1983 Southwind and be done with it!

Edited by irishfield

lol so you'll take 3 grand!

and how's yours wayne for off road's?

this bus is international 7.3 diesel with hydaulic brakes safety included 290,000k

You are not going to convert that thing for three grand Brad. The fridge in my Southwind cost $3200 !.. add a heater.. bathroom.. tanks.. genny..

I've done some narly roads with it Brad... gravel from Wawa to Timmins. Into Fushimi yearly on that dust bowl road... Has pretty good ground clearance.

Give thought to what you are going to put into the bus...and total it all up. Then come see me and mine and make me a serious offer.

mh5.jpg

Edited by irishfield

You are not going to convert that thing for three grand Brad. The fridge in my Southwind cost $3200 !.. add a heater.. bathroom.. tanks.. genny..

I've done some narly roads with it Brad... gravel from Wawa to Timmins. Into Fushimi yearly on that dust bowl road... Has pretty good ground clearance.

Give thought to what you are going to put into the bus...and total it all up. Then come see me and mine and make me a serious offer.

This is what iam asking does it have to have fridge,heater,water tanks etc installed in order to get plates? i'd be happy with a couple seats and matress on the floor , build it up over time..or does it have to have a working toilet in it?

Whats the minimun to get plates and insurance?

Do you have a place to park the beast? Most towns have by-laws against this type of thing being parked in a driveway.

This past year on my street a guy had a 30 foot travel trailer parked in his driveway and blocked the sidewalk so pedestrians had to go on the street to pass, someone complained and the trailer was gone.

Some towns don`t allow this type of thing parked in a drive way whether it`s blocking the drive or not.

Be careful and check insurance before purchasing. Ex-school buses are considered extreme high risk (I can explain why but it might take a while). My friend phoned everywhere before he could get an insurance firm to insure one. They wanted $500 per month for insurance so before you buy make sure you can insure it.

mh5.jpg

Must get some good mileage with that little kicker pushing it!

Sorry my attempt at humor.