shimano calcutta conquest 401

baowu2

Hi

I am new to the casting reel game here. Was thinking about getting the conquest, want to get the best so i don't need to spend more money later on in upgrading reels. But there are people telling me if i am not fimiliar with casting reel, conquest shouldn't be the 1st reel to buy since it envolves some manual adjustments depending on the weight of your lure.

Well, just want to hear some advice here before i make my move. If it turns out to be not the best casting reel to get 1st, then i'll just stay with spinning, twinpower 4000 gm, since i have only used spinning reels.

Thx

Sammy

shimano_calcutta_conquest.jpg

Twinpower_4000MG_6.jpg

I would take the plunge and get the level wind casting reel. All levelwinds require some adjustment when it comes to casting different sized baits no matter the style and you will do this second nature after a couple days on the water....Don't be intimidated with the gadgets on these reels because they really are simple to use.....Now go out there and get yourself that calcutta,you won't regret it !!!

Cheers !!

You'll adapt faster with quality equipment. I find that better equipment is more consistant and you only have to adjust your technique. With cheap equipment you have to comphensate for the reel's inconsisticy and you'll be hard presses to develop good technique. Getting the reel setup for different bait weights is dead easy, takes about half the time as it does to tie a knot.

Top reels in my eyes :

Callcutta

Diawa Luna

Abu big game 7000

Abu c3's

If you've never used a baitcasting reel It's not hard to learn, #1 rule put you're thumb on the line a mili second before the lure hits the water to stop a birdsnest other than that you will always be playing with the knobs for the best cast on each bait but that is easy as well, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

If it was my first casting reel, I would probably rather get 2 or 3 Abus for the same price as that callcutta instead, when you think you need the top quality you can get it later but 2 or 3 Abu Garcias would probably last longer than 1 Callcutta even 1 Abu could last longer and you would have more options with more reels, or just get one cheaper reel and see if you like it first, It's always good to have a couple anyway.

Edited by GbayGiant

What are you going to be using it for mostly? those are fairly large reels and it you plan on using all day for bass fishing they are too big in my opinion. I think the conquest 401 is more suited for musky fishing and would be an excellent choice for that application.

Edited by mikeh

One thing about Shimano,is the stance behind their product

They are rugged when it come to durability

Might try looking at the New Curado,Larry Dalberg shot some footage fishing for Dorado,the fish broke rods,lures,and even dented a spoon like a 22 .The reel stood up!

Its a higher end deal,it offers ajustement and compensation to style of casting and if wind is a factor but the Calcutas are what I use

When you get used to Level winds,you will see yourself using less your spinning reel ,main use will be specific.

As far as ajusting the reel with lures,its actually pretty simple.I"ll gladly send uou an email on how to do it

Good luck in choice

marc

Thx for all these inputs so far ^^~

I am "thinking" of getting the calcutta for salmon runs(BC as well,fraser river, since my parents live there). Sounds so easy to do all the adjustments, but when it really comes to the actual game, probably i'll struggle a big time. hehe.

I still remember the last time i went salmon fishing, i still see those pros having a nice "bird nest" once in a while.

btw, from the picture, you can see we have to cast very fast because of the wide river distance, and casting reel can't really cast that far if comparing it to the spinning??

sammy

2006_08_22_spring_34lb.JPG

you can see we have to cast very fast because of the wide river distance, and casting reel can't really cast that far if comparing it to the spinning??

I can cast a levelwind at least the same as a spinning out fit but the rod has to be balanced and set up correctly, line diameter, weight of lure and a balanced rod and reel for what your using.

I assumed you were talking about musky in my last response, I'm not sure what the best reel would be for salmon, it will depend on how much line you want, what kind of line, the lures you'll be using, the weight of the reel etc..... but you can cast a levelwind as far as a spinning if you get the right one for your application.

The levelwind has a distinct advantage over the spinning reel, and that's no line twist, apart from that imparted by your lure.

My baitcaster is an Abu Record; it has a dynamic brake that is easy to adjust. It also has a 'flipping switch' which is a momentary antireverse release, great for jigging and flipping. It casts musky and pike bucktails a mile, and judicious application of the thumb at the end of the cast tames the overrun spool.

Garry2Rs gave me my first lesson on casting - he advocates a neutral wrist position (palm facing down) for a smoother, more natural, more powerful cast. More like throwing a ball than swinging a bat, if that makes any sense.

I don't think it would be a problem to cast a crankbait of anything that's light in weight, but a lot of places in BC where you fish salmon has very strong current. The only way to go there is to bottom bounce where you need to cast out circular weights ranging from 1.5 to 3 ounce in order for the hook to stay down the river.

Does it make a difference in casting technics? harder to cast? and.....